Monday, May 21, 2012

WE SPRING FROM THE EARTH: TO THE EARTH WE RETURN

We are on the verge of being called a "local drought."  The ground is hard and dry.  I tried to use a spade to work the soil, but didn't make even the slightest headway.  I then set the mower down to its lowest cutting setting and mowed out as much as possible for my tomato patch.  Then I tried cultivation with my little electric tiller.  I turned up a lot of dust and was covered with it.  OK, some water from the hose to soften the ground.  Spit and spew.  I got a liberal dose of mud in my face.  I did make a little progress, 'though.  I am trying to make a garden bed where there has never been one and the grass roots are deep and thick.  I raked off as much of the grass that was turned up and will start again tomorrow.  I'll get it done.  I will soak it again and try the spade again.  I will not be deterred by Mother Nature!

I think I must be sick.  I went to bed "early" last night.  And I had taken a nap yesterday afternoon, too.  Yesterday we had temps in the 90's and that is sure to make one sleepy.  Today, which closing rapidly, started out warm, but has cooled down.  Summer is just around the corner and coming on strong.

Other than getting dusty, dirty and mud splattered, it was a nice day.  I got cloths washed early and other stuff done, too.  I had designated this day to be a "work day" and did put my "shoulder into it."  Of course, now I have a sore shoulder because I moved the refrigerator so I could clean behind it.  Well, it's a good thing I am tuff and generally unbreakable.

++++

IN THE SWEAT
OF YOUR BROW
YOU SHALL
EAT BREAD
TILL YOU RETURN
TO THE GROUND,
SINCE OUT OF IT
YOU WERE TAKEN
FOR DUST YOU ARE
AND ONTO DUST
YOU SHALL
RETURN.

Genesis 3: 19

Rest in Peace,
Aunt Alma,
who passed
away this day.

END






No comments: