Friday, August 27, 2010

Bacon poor

I took a little trip across the bridge. I should have bought gas yesterday while it was $2.46 a gallon. Today it jumped up to $2.65 per gallon. The prices went up because of THE FROG FOLLIES, a classic car show that draws old cars from all over the nation, and the coming LABOR DAY week-end.

A bunch of local guys started THE FROG FOLLIES about 30 years ago by just getting together at the 4 H campgrounds to show off their cars to each other. It wasn't anything official at the time, but has developed into a nation wide classic car show. It brings a lot of visitors and cash into the area, thus a jump in gas prices.

Well, "someone" told me wrong about the cost of a 10 lb. box of bacon for just over six bucks. Boy, is she gonna get a surprise when "she" goes to get a box of bacon for six dollars. I will not tell her the difference; let her find out for herself. I know she will try to cover up her error and pretend that she never went to the Farm Boy store. Mean of me? Yes.

As I was already there, I did go ahead and get a 10 lb. box of bacon ends and pieces. It was more than the six + dollars she quoted to me. It was actually $15.00 for the 10 lbs. I will use the bacon for cooking baked beans, bean soup, split soup, and if there are any pieces or ends large enough for frying, I will do that, too. I now have plenty of bacon, come what may...(there is a literary rule about numbers; anything less than 10 you spell out, anything above 10 you use numerical numbers. Don't ask me why; it just is.)

Tomorrow I need to get back into the swing of things, and try to get more yard work done. I went most of the summer without mosquito bites, but now they are in attack mode. It will be hot tomorrow, but not as hot as it has been. The sun is setting around 7:30 now, and that is official.

There were two terrible fires today. Four died in the worst one, two little ones, the mother, and her own father in a wheelchair. The other was a lady in her camper in a camp ground. Really tragic.

END

No comments: