Monday, August 2, 2010

Lazy days of summer

The lazy days of summer are caused by the high heat and humidity that has enveloped mid-America. It is supposed to be 99-100 tomorrow and very hot for the next few days. I am sure half of America wishes it would snow like it did in Colorado(hail)the other day.



When Steven Foster wrote the song about "MY OLD KENTUCKY HOME" he probably had a Mint Julep in hand, sitting on an open veranda and someone was probably fanning him to keep him cool, you know, one of those "darkies" that were so happy and gay. Oh, Steven foster, what a different world it is today, but it is still HOT!



I didn't get much done and didn't look for anything to do. I washed a few dishes, cleaned the stove and sterilized the sink so I could put peaches in the sink for scalding. Then I goofed off for a while before I went to the task of skinning/peeling the peaches. I put the skinned peaches in the refrigerator. You know, you just can't do this without eating at least one. And are they good.

Six of them are not skinned. They were picked too early from the tree. One side would be rip and the other side would be green, so those six are about half mutilated from trying to skin them.



I have perhaps four or five qts. to freeze tomorrow. It may be less because I put them in a six qt container and it is hard to judge just how much is there until I freeze them. I wish I had more, but they are so expensive to buy on a limited budget.



There is a sale of 10 for $10.00 sale going on this week across the river. I intend to get 10 veggie steamer packages, 10 packs of hot(turkey)dogs and 10 packages of hot(turkey)dogs and 10 packages of lunch meat. I don't think I can get much more into the freezer. Then I can become a hermit and stay home. I won't need much more before next summer.



I want to make some home made bread this week, but I will not swear that I will get it done. It isn't the best time of the year for baking. Even Alice has stopped baking except for special orders. For anyone who does not know Alice, she has a stand at the Farmers Market in Clinton Illinois and sells lot of good stuff. She has more courage than I, baking in this heat.



Thus, the day has come and just about went and by the time anyone reads this, it will be gone.



END

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site livinglessons-meb.blogspot.com
Is this possible?