Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Food

The best meal I have had this week is the one I cooked myself this evening. I pulled a steak out of the freezer this afternoon to let it thaw out and be ready t cook for supper. Around 4:30 I sliced onions and peeled a potato, set it to fry over medium heat in about 4 tbs. of butter and added salt and pepper. Then I added the steak to the frying potatoes, more salt and pepper for the meat; potatoes and onions were almost already done. Everything cooked in butter over medium heat; 3 minutes on each side for the steak. I can not show you a picture of the finished dish because...I ate it. All.

I don't know why it turned out so very good. Maybe it was the butter or the medium heat. I only know it was a very satisfying meal and relived my craving for "something good." There is nothing quite as good as home cooked steak and potatoes smothered in onion. Name something if you can.



Often, if I am out and about, I will buy fast food to calm the animal that growls in my stomach. Fast food will tame the tiger in my tummy for a while, but I am always hungry later.



Thank you Lord, for making the earth that grows the grass, that feeds the cattle, that farmers nature, that goes to markets, that feeds the nation and provides the steak that I enjoyed tonight. Whew, that was a mouthful!
I can enjoy some steaks every so often, but I am well aware that steaks will not be in my freezer forever. They are getting low and I just can't eat them all that frequently. They are a treat, even now. I am afraid they may become a rarity in the average American diet in the near future...unless you work for the government. There is also an alluded prediction that even chocolate may become a scarce commodity. What isn't becoming scarce or expensive. Name it if you can.
*
Spinach Nuggets
*
2 packages of frozen chopped spinach,
cook and drain
2 teaspoons of minced onion
2 cups of herbed stuffing mix
1-1/2 cups of shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup of grated Parmesan Cheese
1 stick of butter
3 eggs
*
Mix spinach, onion,stuffing mix, Mozzarella Cheese, Parmesan Cheese, butter and eggs in a large bowl. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Roll into 1-inch balls and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.***You can use boxed dressing mix for this and it is a good Thanksgiving recipe.
*
HE WHO CULTIVATES HIS LAND
WILL HAVE PLENTY OF FOOD,
BUT FROM IDLE PURSUITS
A MAN HAS HIS FILL OF POVERTY.
*
Proverbs 29, vs. 19
*
MAY THE GLORY OF THE LORD
ENDURE FOREVER;
MAY THE LORD BE GLAD
IN HIS WORKS.
*
Psalm 103, vs. 31
*
END

No comments: