Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Preparing

Ol' Glenn Beck says you better take a page outta the history books about the Great Depression of the 30's. He says you better you better prepare for hard, leaner times and bone up on your skills. You better learn to mend and do without, and make do. The only thing I fault ol' Glenn with is that he should have been preaching to his flock months and months ago. When the wolf is already at the door it is hard to keep him out.



What ol' Glenn is advocating now is not new to a Survialist or country minded people. He is just way, way behind the curve, that's all. We will credit him for trying to get your attention even if it is late...late in the game.

For myself, I am trying to decide if I will try to have a garden in the spring or if I can...can. It is hard to lug a big canner and fill it with water or empty and clean the same with one bad arm. And the gardens didn't do will here during the past summer. I will concede that seeds are cheaper than hunger and I may yet give it a whirl. I do have all the equipment necessary and it may be a far better spring season in 2011. We will see and time will tell, but if YOU are able and willing, put in the big garden and can the proceeds. Do you know what I would really love to have in my pantry? Canned venison, once agan. I have not had canned venisen in probably 50 years. Funny what you desire in your old age.



Today was my birthday-I won't say how old I am, but I am old enough. Debbie and I ate out at the Chinese resturant in Evansvile. It was windy and cold. The storm door on the back porch really steamed up which means I am losing heat. I'll have to attend to that. There are several items that need some TLC.

Two years ago tomorrow, Wednsday, I fell and all but disroyed my elbow. A bad memory or anniversery. We pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and go on from there.

*

ENVY AND ANGER

SHORTENS ONE'S LIFE,

WORRY BRINGS ON

PREMATURE OLD AGE.

ONE WHO IS CHEERFUL

AND GAY WHILE

AT THE TABLE

BENIFITS FROM HIS FOOD.

*

Sirach 30, vs. 24-25

*

IN SEEDTIME THE SLUGGARD PLOWS NOT;

WHEN HE LOOKS FOR THE HARVEST

IT IS NOT THERE.

*

Provergs 20, vs. 4


No comments: