Friday, February 18, 2011

The day started out cool and a little cloudy, but then it came off beautifully in the afternoon.  A "no sweater" kind of day.  Tomorrow I hope to rake off the garden and do some housekeeping in the yard.  I suppose you would call that "yard keeping.  Lots of small twigs have blown off the trees and lots of loose trash have sailed into the yard, too.  So, there is work to be done.

I read a bog the other day where the blogger said she didn't see any rise is prices for food and goods.  She must be on the government's payroll to say nice things about the economy or have poor vision or have a fat wallet.  Mine is not so fat.  My vision, though not 20-20, can read a price tag and the government isn't all that concerned for older Americans.


I went to the store to get a Bell Pepper for a recipe I want to put into the slow cooker.  I have everything I need for Corn Chowder except a Bell Pepper.  The price tag for 1-one-single Bell Pepper was $1.49.
I did find the last loaf of Aunt Hatti's bread for $00.85 cents.  If I had gone earlier I could have had a couple more for the freezer.  One gallon of Moo Juice was $3.78 and eggs are $1.55.  The chickens are charging extra for all the pain in the a** the have to go through.  Hurts a lot, don't you know-and hurts the pocketbook, too.  So...for that blogger who says we don't have inflation...you must live on another planet, far, far away.  And as I read the news and commentaries, Alaska is really feeling the high prices.


*
CORN CHOWDER
-
I CAN OF CREAMED CORN
4 CUPS OF WATER
1/4 CUP DICED BACON
1/2 CUP DICED CELERY
1/4 CUP DICED ONION
1/4 CUP OF DICED GREEN PEPPER
1 CUP PEELED AND DICED POTATO
1/4 TSP. SALT
1/4 TSP PEPPER
1/4 TSP PAPRIKA
2 CUPS SKIM MILK
CHIVES
-
Fry diced bacon 'til crisp
set aside bacon
Saute onions, celery
and green peppers until
golden brown in bacon
drippings.
Add to water, salt, pepper and
papricka; simmer
for about 45 minutes
-
Add corn, milk, and any liquid
simmer for about 30 minutes
Do not boil 
Add cooked bacon
 and garnish with
chopped chives
*

My preference is to use the crock pot. That way I can add most of the ingredients at one time.  Add the cooked bacon as you wish.  You can alter this recipe to suit your taste.

*
TO EVERYTHING
THERE IS A SEASON
AND A TIME
FOR EVERY PURPOSE
UNDER HEAVEN.
*
ECCL. 3:1

The Tulips and Crocuses are waking up and poking their sleepy green heads up from their beds in my front yard.

END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings,

Eggs $1.89 a doz for large, peppers, $1.79 each for the green, the colored ones were on sale 2 days ago, 2 for $5.00. Got milk on sale for that price, forget about regular price you can't touch it.

This woman must have rose colored glasses on. Has she seen the price of Hellmann's Mayonaise? Here regular price is now $5.49 and the jar is 2 ozs smaller. I only buy it when it is on a really good sale, otherwise, I make my own.

Prices are going up, packaging is getting smaller. She needs a reality check!! Maybe she needs to live on a fixed income for a couple of months and then see if she thinks the economy is good and prices have not gone up!!

Hope you are having a good day today Mabel!!

Love ya, Alice