Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Future Shock

Future Shock-that's what I got at the grocery store...or sticker shock, if you prefer, and more to come.  I went to the store to get some "Treet" which is on sale for $.98 cents a can.  It's like "Spam," but just another brand name for the same product.  A processed "meat" in a can that I keep on hand for "just in case" moments.  I am not fond of the stuff, but if ever the needs of our great society falls on tough times, I hope to tough it out. 

My surprise came when I went to get the $.85 cent bread and found it had gone up to $.99 cents.  I knew that cheap bread was not of the norm and wouldn't last, but I wasn't expecting it today-not now!  Even so, I got the last two of the $.99 centers left on the shelf.  Lucky me: I almost always get the last two loves of cheap bread on the shelf.  My next encounter with inflation will be at the gas pump.  I will probably have a heart attack right there on the pavement.  So...if you see or hear where I become sick  or ill from guzzling gas,well, you will probably read about a new epidemic sweeping the country.  Call it a gas-attack or petro-phobia.  Whatever, LOL.

And now Wendy's is keeping your "maters."  So, if you want a fully dressed burger you will have to dress it yourself, shoes, socks-everything. Which is why I will plant tomatoes as soon as it is warm enough.  And this is just the start of bad news while you snooze and trust in your government. While everything is not the government's or Obama's fault, go ahead-blame them anyway. 

Obama campaigned on the slogan of "Yes , (I-you-we) can," what he really intended to expound upon was "No, you can't."


I have been telling people to stock up and prepare for hard times for a long time, now.  I have said this before:  Being stocked up got me through a bad time when my arm was so badly damaged that I could not drive, let alone go to a grocery store.  It was about six months, two plates, a screw and five pins later, and a special device in the van, before I could drive again.  I tell you this because not only a bad economy can lay you low, but  a devastating injury or illness can can kick you sideways and any which way,  down the street of poverty in very short order.  I know that some of you already know this and do try to get ahead as much possible.
*
CAST YOUR  BREAD
UPON THE WATERS;
AFTER A LONG TIME
YOU MAY FIND IT
AGAIN.
MAKE SEVEN OR EIGHT
PORTIONS,
YOU KNOW NOT
WHAT MISFORTUNE
MAY COME UPON
THE EARTH
*
ECCL. 11: 1-2
*

END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings Mabel!!

I agree with you 100% and you know I am one to stock up. I have hit the bargains and have been building up my emergency supply. There are all sorts of reasons to have an emergency supply room not just the economy, but the economy is a big reason, indeed.

Today I am finally starting seeds for the garden and will be writing my blog a little later than usual as I plan on taking pictures as I do it to post them too.

They are calling for 5 to 7 inches of snow here starting this evening and into tomorrow. Oh joy! I still have not fully recovered from the last storm. But at least my house is fully stocked should we lose power or not be able to get out for a few days. :-)

Have a great day!
Alice