Monday, February 21, 2011

YARD WORK


When I left the house at I:30 to go to the eye dr. this afternoon the temperature was 67 degrees and pretty overcast.  When I came out from my appointment it was pouring rain and the thermometer was dipping.  It will drop to about 32 degrees near the morning hours.  Wed. will be a better day and that is the way the mercury flows, up and down on the ol' thermostat, in the early throws of spring.

Yesterday I did manage to get out in the sun and do about three hours of garden clean up.  I have some more to do as I couldn't get a couple of plant stumps out of the ground.  The Caster Beans that I dislike so much are like little tree saplings and re-seed without any help and are more bothersome than they are worth...at least to me, anyway.
There isn't much green showing, but I did see some Rhubarb trying to poke through and some buds on the Plum tree.  A little early.  All this stuff in the yard cart can not be used for compost as it is Bermuda Grass, which is a bane to a gardener.  I can't burn the stuff in town, either. What I can do is let it compost down into a liquid form and have "Green Tea" for a later time of application.  The soil needs a lot of amendment because last spring the big tiller tilled up a lot of clay which was not very productive and did not help in holding moisture.

After an afternoon in the sun and fun and yard TLC, my everything hurt and was sore.  You would have thought I would have slept really well...and I did...because I had to take a nap after I came in!  So...it is better for an old body to take work or fun in smaller increments of labor.

Tomorrow...Tuesday, I don't have any appointments.  I can stay home, wash cloths, vacuum a little and tidy up.  I have been saving empty bread wrappers and Beverly has told me how to keep them in a neater fashion.  Beverly has lots of good ideas.

And guess what.  I have two-2-new neighbors.  Pit Bulls.  They look well cared for and they are nice looking animals.  They even have a real dog house.  However, I think they are both females and that may mean breeders.  At least they have not charged the fence looking for  a free dinner.  Anyhow, I carry a club out into the yard just in case they may think I look like an appitizer.  Salt and pepper, please, with a little katsup on the side.

*
GIVE THANKS TO THE LORD,
FOR HE IS GOOD,
HIS MERCY ENDURS
FOREVER.
*
1 CHR. 16:34
*
END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings Mabel,

We are a little cooler today but we did not get the snow they called for. I have a doctor's appointment and groceries to pick up today. Tomorrow I plan on staying in and getting my seeds started. Should have done it last week but was having such a rough time with the fibromyalgia pain I did not want to go up and down the basement stairs.

Sue hope the new dogs in the neighborhood don't become a problem for you.

Blessings, Alice