Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Resting up...sort of


NO POST ON WEDNESDAY EVE.
PARTY TIME!

I'm sitting down and resting.  I have the deviled eggs done and in the fridge.  These eggs didn't peel well, but they are good.  The residents won't care as long as they taste good.  I made a loaf of Pumpkin Bread with raisins.  I will take cream cheese for the bread.  I also tried to make Brownies. They didn't turn out so well.  They are flat and hard around the edges.  I know it was because they were not baking well and I had to leave them in the oven a little longer.  The Brownies will not make the trip.  They are OK for me, but I won't present them to the elderly residents because I know they can out-cook, out-shine, my puny efforts.

Anyway, Sister asked me to help a resident go through her personal belongings and sort things out for her.  I can see why she asked me: it's boxes and boxes!  When you don't want to do a certain task...delegate!

The resident is 95 years old, nearly blind and in poor health.  Going through her personal treasures is an eye opener.  Many things I knew from taking care of her while I was working.  Some things I found were tragic.  Her youngest son died way to early of a heart condition.  Her older son was in the military and died in a plane crash.  She told me there wasn't much to send home to her and I won't go into the details, but both died in their twenties.  We hardly ever know the history of the people we take care of in nursing homes.  This resident graduated from a culinary school in Washington D.C.-in 1932.  She was a certified violin teacher and played the organ.  She had her own restaurant and employed over 22 waitresses during bad times and good.  She kept them going.  Once she was in command of her life and made all the decisions of running a business and raising a family.  Now...the home is her steward...by necessity, of course, but to take the empowerment from  her present and future, is very hard for her.

I find it difficult to go through her belongings, trying to decided what she is to keep and what she needs to get rid of.  It isn't a fun job and I would love to give it right back to Sister, saying "here Sister, take this task and put it under your "bonnet."  Of course, I can't do that.

One good thing has come from of this little job.  I have been able to pass on all the good things I know about this lady, and it has garnered her lots of attention and a new respect from her care takers.  They have always been good to her, but now they see her in a different light.  Now they see a lady that has had a very productive life, tragedies, and a giving spirit. The "girls" will look on her with a new aspect, give her more of the support that she needs in her rapidly declining health.


Well, here I have been rambling, haven't I?  I too, am getting older, and my thoughts tend to wander...no, not quiet senile just yet, but on my way!  That reminds me...um...I forgot!

All right, rest time is over!  Time to get going on the Black Bean Bread...with raisins of course...and a little sugar...Yum!  Don't let me forget to charge up the batteries for the camera, y'all hear now?  I am out and running!

END

P. S.
No naughty Santa's for you tonight!



No comments: