Thursday, October 25, 2012

LIFE IS A FOREVER CLASS ROOM

The best laid plans...well, you know how that goes.  It was my intent to get a lot of work done today.  It was my desire to get some really "deep" cleaning done in the kitchen and then the bathroom.  I had a good start in pulling things apart in the kitchen and scrubbing, washing more cloths and other small jobs.  As I said...I got a good start.

I went outside in the yard and as I was working friend drove by, backed up and told me he was really broke and did I have any jobs he could do.  Yup, says I...I really do.  He trimmed out the big tree in the front yard, cleaned up and trimmed all of the front, loaded all the big branches and refuse on a trailer, cleaned out the fence line on one side, mowed the grass and raked all the leaves, cleaned the sidewalk and used a blower to finish it off.  It looks really good and it is work that I can no longer do.  I was happy to to give him the $250.00 he asked for.  It helped him and helped me a whole lot.  I may need to watch my nickles and dimes for a bit, but he and his girlfriend worked super hard. 

Dare I tell the President that when a businessman goes "bust," and looks for yard work and odd jobs, that the economy is not so hot after all?  No, I guess I had better not.

Right after Jeff left to go get his trailer a women knocked on the front door and asked me for money so she could take the bus downtown.  She said she only needed fifty cents, so I gave it to her.  After all, it is only fifty cents and she might be in real need...what do I know.  Later I spotted her going from house knocking on doors and she came up to Jeff, twice, asking for money.  Then I saw the police car cruising about.  I think someone called them...no, it wasn't me.  I was pretty sure she wanted money for beer or drugs, but it is really hard to judge.  Anyway, you never know when your own well-being might turn and I would rather part with my fifty cents than see someone in true need. 

So, I still have all this work in mind that I want to get done.  Maybe I can get some things done after mass, but I need to get other stuff done as well, and some minor shopping completed.
 
+++
 
THE EYES OF GOD
SEES ALL HE
HAS MADE;
HE UNDERSTANDS
MAN'S EVERY DEED;
NO MAN DOES HE
COMMAND TO SIN,
TO NONE DOSE HE
GIVE STRENGTH
TO LIES.
 
Sarach 15: 19
 
I see this passage from the Old Testament, in part, that whatever we do or don't do for our neighbor, is known to God.  We can help or hinder, but we are commanded in the New Testament...to love our neighbor and not to bear false witness against them.  I can tell you it is often hard to love or have much compassion for our neighbors.  Yet, it is what God wants of us, one and all.  To say that I often fall short of what God expects of me, is an understatement.  Living by God's will and precepts, Old or New Testament, is a forever class room of forever lessons.  I think I could use a bigger chalkboard and a good eraser.  Got one you could lend me?
 
 
END
 
 



No comments: