Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Holy Eve. not Halloween

I am sleepy.  I woke up WAY too early.  So I got up.  WAY too early!  If I were to take a nap I know that I will not sleep well tonight.

Tomorrow is a Holy Day of Obligation.  No, it isn't the celebration of Halloween.  It is All SAINTS DAY.  By the time that most of you read this post it will be  Nove. 1.  And on Saturday we get to change time for Sunday.  I always re-set my clocks before I go to bed on Saturday eve.  "Fall back" one hour. I won't like that, but I will get used to it.

On the subject of Halloween:  There is nothing holy about it.  It stems from a pagan rite that was celebrated in much of Europe, probably stemming from ancient Celtic rites.  It ushered out the fall of plenty and good harvests and met the winter season and solstice at the door with bonfires and celebrations. It is also called "Devil's Day" as all kinds of mischief, meanness and naughty behavior occupies a lot of the youth and adults of all ages.

In the eighth century Pope Gregory decided to incorporate the rite into the observance of All Saint's Day and try to stifle the lusty, wild side of the pagan ritual.  Well, we still have the paganisms of yore to some extent, but it is slowly becoming a tradition for children of all ages to enjoy in a more moderate manner.  When I was a child I enjoyed Halloween, too,  and I don't mind having goodies on hand for the little ones.

Yesterday gasoline was $3.02 a gallon.  In the wake of Sassy Sandy the price has jumped up again.  Fortunately, I got my gas the other day and can go for a week or two, if I am careful.

I went to the Good Will Store this afternoon and bought a "new" jacket and a couple of spiritual books.  The jacket has some stains on it and I got most of them out with two washings.  It is a nice jacket and was made in Russia.  The jacket that I have been wearing is really coming apart.


+++
 
BUT BY THE GRACE
OF GOD,
AND HIS GRACE
IN ME
HAS NOT BEEN
FRUITLESS-
IN FACT I HAVE
LABORED MORE
THAN ANY OF THEM,
YET NOT I,
BUT THE GRACE
OF GOD IS WITH ME.
 
Paul to the Corinthians
2, Ch.15: 10
 
It sounds like St. Paul is doing a little bragging here.  The verses before this acknowledges that he was a persecutor or the early Church.  Also, Paul speaks a lot of prophesy and speaking in tongues, more than I realized.  He says in essence that if you speak in tongues you are worshiping for yourself(and God), but when you prophesy you are speaking for the church.  A true prophesy can be understood as a message from God through a person.  Speaking in tongues can not be easily or not at all, conveyed by the worshiper or the listener.
 
 
END

No comments: