Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Lights Out

I take issue with GE and Sylvania fluorescent lights. They are supposed to be economical and last a long time, up to 700 hrs. They just don't make them to last very long anymore and they are no longer a bargain or save on utilities if you have to keep replacing them. My brother used to call it "Planned Obsolescence." Florescent tubes or bulbs are not all that cheap. I have had 6 replaced in the last few months. And now there is controversy about disposing them, so you can not win, coming or going.

It has gotten cold again and I turned the heat up. Here it is mid-April and I am still having to heat the house. Sat. is predicted to be about 80 degrees. Then it will be fans and air conditioning to run up the utility bill.

I had turned off the heat lamp for the little peepers. I hope they stay warm enough. The two juveniles(roosters) have become dare devils. When I go to feed them they try to get out(and have)so I have to scoop them up and put them back in their play pen. Where they go or what they try, the pullets think they have to copy.

There seems to be a local shortage on chicken wire because I still don't have any. I even tried posting on Freecycle for some. Someone else is doing the same.

The beans that started to sprout have mysteriously vanished. I saw a dove in the garden and it may be eating the seeds and sprouts. The only thing growing is the cabbage. Also, I saw a white feral cat checking out the chicks through the window. Those two little rooster better learn to protect their flock. Right now they are too tame and I can pick them up and shoo them back. They need to be a little aggressive so they won't wind up feeding the ca

My youngest sister called me early this morning and woke me up so now I am tired. She forgets there is a time difference between here and there. She is my youngest sister and even though she was born in 1958, has 2 grown children and 3 grandchildren, I still think of her as the baby of the family. Hey, I'm old..let me sleep!!

END

No comments: