Saturday, April 18, 2009

So sew

I used to be a fair seamstress...used to be. I need to do some sewing and repair work. One little task that needs attention is hems. My hems are coming out. I have favorite slacks, but can not wear them with the pant cuffs hanging. So I decided to get started on hems. I did get one pair of slacks hemmed...hummm. I do not have the fine motor control in my fingers and hands; not like I used to have. It is harder to thread a needle and hold it steady in order to get the job done. However, I did get the hem into one pair of slacks and it turned out fairly decent. Now, for the next pair.

I prefer to doing hand hemming to that of a sewing machine. There is a certain finesse to putting in a good hem. You need to just catch the material with the tip of the needle on the inside of the cuff and also the pant leg. When done right the treads of the hem shouldn't be visible on the outside of the pant leg. Also, it is a lot easier to use a good needle and not an old rusty needle as I did.

Sew onward! I would like to tailor a couple blouses that I bought at the Goodwill Store. They "sorta" fit, but I am a little bit on the short side, so the tails need to be cut down and re-hemmed. That part I will do in the machine because it is a bit quicker and we all like to get the jobs done, PDQ. I hope I can cut in a straight line. Hmmm, maybe I put too much whiskey into the baked beans...You think?

Chuck mowed and trimmed the yard so it is looking pretty good. Have opened a window in the chicken room again and the chickens love roosting in the window ledge. A lovely mess they are leaving and pecking away at the screen.

It will rain tonight and that will be good on the garden and I am saving chickappoo to put between the rows. I can tell that the weather is about to tear up and get soggy, for all that hardware I now adorn my inner beauty with, is now my barometer, thermometer and weather radar. I am just a walking antenna, so I must stay out of the rain. I wonder if anyone with plates, pins and screws ever got hit by lightning...LOL's!!! Maybe not so funny, but just think, free electricity!!

END

1 comment:

d.a. said...

Just had a sewing weekend here, too. Spouse and I repaired our porch curtains that had lost their hems, or needed reinforcing at the closure grommets (the wind whips them pretty hard). Now our porch curtains are ready to block the summer sun this season.

Oh, and I definitely can empathize with the whole needle-threading issue!