Wednesday, April 29, 2009

LOSERS WEEPERS

Tell me what you think. If you found a fair amount of money on the floor of a public bathroom in a restaurant would you keep it without making even the slightest effort to find the person that lost it? The wife of the my handyman has done just that and it disturbs me. She said if you turn it in the employees "would just split it up among themselves." Not necessarily, me thinks. Not everyone is this old world is dishonest. Also, you can report the find and leave your number and see if anyone who calls can come up with the correct amount found and/ or denominations. When I mentioned this I simply got a cold stare and a remark of "You don't know these kinds of people." I guess she was implying that all those people in that area were of less calibre than she.

The reason it disturbs me is that I am thinking it may have been someones rent or utility money. Even worse, it could have been taking the food out of some child's mouth. It might have been money dropped by a vendor who will have to make it good.

Years ago my mother had $20.00 vanish from her pocketbook. I remember how frantic she was and it did take groceries off the our table. We were very poor due to my Father's ill health and $20.00 was a lot of money in the '60's to poor people.

I know that(blank) has not been getting a lot of business, but (blank) always has enough money for cigarettes. They manage to go out to eat and or continue to have good meals at home, as desired. Did she really need that money? I don't think so. It wasn't like finding a stray $1.00 bill or even a $5.00 dollars. It was equal to a paycheck and that bothers me. It may have been some elderly person's S.S check. When I mentioned this I was told that S.S. checks were not out yet. Not true because anyone with direct deposit got their checks several days ago.

Am I wrong to be bothered by this? I don't believe in that old "Finders Keepers" rote. That is kid stuff. I know if I lost my check or even part of it I would be in a bad financial bind. My Mother didn't raise me like that and according to (blank) she wasn't raised that way, either.

I tried to start the lawn mower with one hand/arm and couldn't do it. Instead, I just about pulled my arm off. I know its going to hurt tonight 'cause it already does. So, I tried with my left arm and hand, but just didn't have the strength to get it started. I put the mower away. I just wanted to give the little chickens some nice fresh greenery.

No comments: