Monday, June 28, 2010

Corn and tomato sauce

Finally-a little ear of corn.The corn is a good six feet tall. There is a saying, "Knee high by the Forth of July." It may be a common adage about the growth expectation of corn, but I hear it a lot from gardeners.

Yesterday I dragged the hose out and gave the corn a good soaking. The ground remains pretty dry in spite of an occasional rain "spit." There just isn't enough moisture in the soil.

I went to the Save A Lot store this afternoon. I am still looking for dry split peas. They still don't have them. While I was there I spotted tomato sauce on sale-4 for a $dollar. I bought a whole case for $6.00. I can make a lot spaghetti! Of course, I can use it for other cooking, too.

I am not fond of spiders, mice or snakes so I bought a couple of glue traps. No little mice yet, but the spiders are getting stuck on the glue boards and that makes me happy. One mouse must have gotten stuck, but it got away. I guess I will have to set a couple traps. I guess I now have mice because the boys next door are not mowing the grass. They have two dogs and probably dog food. Dog food will call mice and it is just a short excursion for little rodents from there to here.

I spent the day out of the house because I wanted to shop before all the checks come out. I don't like fighting the crowd. The Wal-Mart flyers/ads are not out yet, but I want to see what might be on sale for stocking up By the way, the reason I put a hyphen in Wal-Mart is because that is the way it used to be spelled and I am from the old school. As it was spelled with a hyphen 20 years ago, it is sill spelled that way in my little mental dictionary.

I want to buy a Mylar blanket and a sheet/roll of heavy plastic. I want the Mylar blanket to carry in the van and the heavy plastic to wrap myself in, in case I want to ship myself somewhere. LOA!! Heavy plastic has many uses in and around the home and I have used up all that I had.

I stopped at the Goodwill store and bought a couple blouses and a pair of slippers. I hope they fit. I will not try on used cloths until I have washed them. I guess I am paranoid, wondering who wore them last and if they left anything behind. I left something behind for them: a huge bag of plastic bags. I am rid of the bags, the store always needs them and they have been recycled. See? I am helping to save the earth. Now if I could just go down to the Gulf with a big mop.

Not much else going on unless someone wants to volunteer and carry that case of tomato sauce in for me! Anyone?

END

No comments: