Tuesday, June 1, 2010

SAME OL' THING


Water...water...water! The weather is taking the starch right out me and I am like a wilted plant in the garden. I worked out in the garden for about an hour and then came in. Tomorrow will be hotter-93 degrees. I will refill my soda bottle tonight and stick it back in the fridge so it will be good and cold for tomorrow.
My tomatoes are a little spindly, but may take off in this heat. After all, tomatoes are a tropical plant. Tomatoes were once thought to be poison. The poor, the dregs of humanity, were the first to consume them. Then the Royal Bumpkins decided they'd be good on the royal tables. "Yum," said the King and Queen and all their disloyal minions. Tomatoes have an interesting history, don't they? They are grown in the vegetable garden, but are really classified as a fruit.
Growing a garden in this heavy clay soil is not an easy task and requires a lot of maintenance. It is work intensive in the best of soils. I wish I had access to some good cow manure, but I don't, so it will be coffee grounds, banana peels, ground up egg shells, fish emulsion and whatever I can scare up. The very worst thing...and I have said it before...is Bermuda grass...hate the stuff.
I ate late as my kitchen is too hot to cook in. The fan works in the a/c, but the cold air is up in the Artic somewhere. I need a new air conditioner for the kitchen and will find one one ...one of these days, before it is time to can stuff from the garden. I have 20 tomatoes plants set out and if they take off, well, that is a lot of canning in the high heat.
As you can see, I don't have much to write about. I hope to post a picture of my little garden in a week or so, if I ever get the weeds all out.
END

No comments: