Friday, June 18, 2010

MOMMA MIA





MOMMA MIA! I have surrendered to my cravings! I have wanted spaghetti for a while now, but didn't cook any because of the stiffing heat in my kitchen. Now that I have a new air conditioner in the kitchen window I can start cooking again! I made a big pot of spaghetti and it is good!
There is not trick in cooking spaghetti. Plain spaghetti is pretty basic. The secret is in the sauce. Want to know my secret? Canned sauce tweaked to my desire and taste. I can not make
spaghetti sauce as well as my mother could, but I do all right, even when I make it from scratch. Really good sauce is simmered for hours using all fresh produce in the recipe. Most of us don't have time to simmer and simmer-unless we are mad about something-and then we can simmer all day long! So...enter Hunts Spaghetti Sauce. Add your favorite seasonings to your favorite sauce and walla! A good pot of Little Italy will appear in your own little kitchen! Yum, I say! Anyway, I have already eaten two bowls full and satisfied my desires somewhat.
We and everyone else, are having a "heat alert." It is too dangerous to do much outside. I went out on the patio and put on my tacky old garden shoes and promptly came right back inside. I tried to brave the heat several times, but finally gave up. At 6 PM I gave it another effort and did get some work done even though the humidity is high. I worked for about 1 1/2 hours, pulling weeds. The the Vampire Bugs started coming out(mosquitoes)and started using my skin for a picnic table. I stopped and came in, but was happy that I got as much done as I did. My old work top was fairly wet from sweat, but it has been worse. I guess I will have to switch my weeding to early evenings as the sun goes down.
When the potato plants start to die back I will be able to dig up a few new potatoes. They are very good and tender when they are about the size of a golf ball. I am still looking for the corn to form ears...waiting...waiting. Some of the beets are growing fast and I may have some beets in a couple of weeks. I will have beet tops in my salad, too. I will try to put in a summer garden in a few weeks, too. Turnips are on my list and maybe a second crop of beets. I'll have to think about it.
I am about to go back outside, put things away, lock things up, come back in, lock the doors and call it a day. June is half gone.
END

No comments: