Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dang, it's hot

If I didn't know better I'd say it was a little warm in the shade. WEATHERMAN! Give me a break! I got up early so I could get into the garden patch and beat the heat. I lingered too long and finally went out to the veggie plot just before 9 p. m. I did get the other side of the potato row hilled up. Now both sides look OK. I planted the sweet green Bell peppers and hand watered the Banana peppers as well as the new plants. I dug holes for the new tomatoes and hand watered some of the poor looking ones. I never did put the new plants into the ground. By that time it was getting pretty warm and sticky so I came back into the house to cool down.

I saw a pretty little Gold Finch drinking from the bird bath. After that I didn't see any more. The water was getting to hot. My yard and the yard next door seem to be on the flight path for a lot of birds swooping and flying through. That is what happened to the beans and maybe some of the corn. As I am hoeing I find bean seeds everywhere except where I planted them.

I need to get the hose out. Even 'though we had a lot of heavy rain the other day the ground seems dry. As soon as I set new plants and hand water them the moisture is gone. Even some of the water in the bird bath seems to be evaporating way too fast.

I made a trip to the EVERYTHING FOR A DOLLAR store and bought more of the shelf stable milk in a carton. It is still in the van. I didn't carry everything in yet. I hope the heat doesn't affect it. I saved my trip to the grocery store for later...about 5:30 p.m., hoping it would be cooler. It wasn't. Wen I went out for the groceries all the light on the dash lit up. I'll have to check that in the morning. It may be low on oil(cheap oil available in Florida)or it may need water/coolant in the radiator. I hope that is all it is. The heat can be hard on cars.

Again, I didn't take any pictures of the garden or anything else. I will. It is just too hot to mess around. Back to the only small a/c that is working and sit there in front of it. Dallas, TX is supposed to be 100 tomorrow. Big brother has central air. Sigh.

END

No comments: