Monday, June 21, 2010

The price is right..or is it

I forgot to mention in the last couple of posts the the price of coffee is supposed to go up by 20%. Now is the time to buy or stock up on coffee before the price trickles up to the retailers and big box stores. The coffee producers Thailand had a poor crop due to the weather. No one knows yet about the crops in Brazil and South America. These coffee producers have had bad weather and problems, too. So, if coffee is your favorite brew you may wish to increase your stock a bit. Also, the price of groceries is supposed to increase by 40% in the not so distant future...but we are aware of that, aren't we. We already see food prices going up. Each time I go to the store the prices are a little bit higher.

Today I have been cleaning out my pantry. I want to get all my freezer boxes washed and ready for use. There are some things I simply tossed out and wondered why I was saving such junk. In the process I found some things I had forgotten I had, such as drink mixes. and new batteries. It was like "found money." I haven't finished yet and I will move some things out into the store room, out of the way until I need them. I mashed a couple spiders while I was at it. Bye Bye. I just don't like spiders...they bite.

The temperature hit 96 and is predicted to hit 97 tomorrow. I looked at three different weather reports and each is different. I know that this heat will spawn storms. We could use the rain to cool things off and nourish the gardens. I have not been into the garden to work because of the heat advisory. I walked through and picked off a couple peppers and ate them when I came in. The melon plant has a bloom on it. I like melons.

I have been making a list on what to stock up on or replenish. I need to buy meat products as I am a meat and potato kind of girl. The meat in the freezer is getting kind of skimpy. I would like to buy a half a cow from the butcher. They will cut it, grind some of it up for burgers, wrap and label it for you. I have done this before and hope to do it again.

I read about the virtues of couponing and I used to save coupons like crazy. Most of the coupon I see now are for non essential items or stuff I never buy. WE do not have an Aldt, a Price Chopper, a Sam's or Costco store that is close enough for me to want drive to one, let alone pay for a membership card. I have to settle for the local grocery store which may or may not have occasion bargains of something that I want or need.

The guy next door is working on his truck in the dark. He has run a cord from his house and has a lamp out there, but I don't think that it a fun way to work, esp. in this heat. I hope he is able to get it up and running.

Here is a question. Can you freeze spaghetti? Not that I will have much left to freeze. Just wondering.

END

No comments: