Thursday, June 24, 2010

Restocking

I have started my re-stocking a little earlier this year. A little at a time for now. I looked at meat today and left it in the big coolers. I bought beans instead. Beans are a good protein and packed with minerals and vitamins. I looked for split peas, but couldn't find any. I will have to go back to the "big" store and pay a higher price. I did come home with a ham hock for bean soup. I can freeze bean soup and I like it pretty well, but I do love split pea soup.

I also got out most of my freezer boxes and lids and washed and soaked them. And just to be sanitary and sterile, a little bleach is a good addition to the washing. Now comes the hard part: matching the lids with the containers. One type of container that is easy to match lids with is the cottage cheese containers. Yes, I do save them and freeze in them, just like my mother did. Lots of frugal people do the same. "Waste not...want not."

I walked around the garden this evening. The corn has a lot of really long tassels, but no corn ears yet...still waiting. Some of the tomatoes have blossoms, so I may have some tomatoes after a while. Rain/water would do the garden good. Weeding would also do the garden good. So, tomorrow morning should be a "weed away" day. The weather should be a little cooler for one more day. Around here...90 is cool.

The bird bath was empty. Where did all that water go? Birds were filying in, sitting on the rim and looking expectantly..."What, no water?" So I filled it.

END

No comments: