Thursday, June 3, 2010

Hoe ho ho

The sun shines down on Kentucky. Does it ever. I worked in the garden in the heat for two hours. You would think I would lose a little weight. Maybe I have and just don't know it...show it. I watered the plants with my perspiration.

I hand watered the tomatoes and the banana peppers. The peppers look OK, but the tomatoes look weary and sad. I hope they perk up. I went to Rural King and got a couple of replacements for the missing tomato plants. I also got some green peppers. I haven' planted them yet, but will tomorrow. I may get more green peppers and maybe more tomato plants. I found two "wild" tomato plants while I was weeding. They look pretty good so I will let them grow.

I hear people tell how tall their corn is. Mine are only about a couple of feet high, but growing fast. I will have enough for me and some to put in the freeze, too. I ate my first banana pepper this afternoon. It wasn't real big, only about two inches long-one bite. It as pretty good. More are coming on. The potatoes are ready to blossom and are about two feet tall, give or take a little. Anyway, the garden is generally growing well, along with a few weeds. Tomorrow I need to hill the corn and tatters. I am putting a lot of sweat equity into this little garden. I want it to provide good stuff for me.

While I was out at Rural King I looked for a new hoe. Mine is in old and in need of some small repairs. I didn't find the one I thought I wanted, but the one I bought works well. It has a narrow hoe-blade on one end and a sort of a"U" shaped blade on the other end. I like it. It does a good job. I'll fix the old one when I get a chance.

Again I had a late supper. I cooked a steak. It is just too hot in the kitchen for a lot of cooking. I'm not starving. It's just too warm to work in the kitchen in the late afternoon. I wonder how our mothers did it...over an old wood stove.

I know I am getting a bit repetitious, but it is what I do that I write about.

I think I will try to get to bed a little earlier. I am pooped from the heat.

END

No comments: