Friday, January 14, 2011

Ahhh, now I feel better.  For breakfast I had a cup of coffee and a package of crackers with my medicine.  For lunch I had a cup of tomato soup-the whole can-because one serving is about 90 calories.  The whole can would be about 180 calories.  For supper I went all out: a serving of chopped Spinach, 2 small potatoes, and some lean roast beef.  There are not a lot of calories  in spinach, only about 100 calories in a small potato and I know how know many calories  are in the lean meat.  I am thinking I have consumed 800 to 1000 calories over the course of the day.  I am thinking that I might try the milk and honey again at bedtime because I slept so well last night.

I had an odd dream last night, as well.  I was urging someone to put in a larger garden.  Someone else in the dream told me that I was jealous of the first gardener because that person was taking over the(my)garden: a larger garden wasn't needed. I guess I must have had gardening on my mind when I went to bed.

CROWDER PEAS-aka. field peas, cow peas.  I planted Crowder Peas last year and they will grow just about anywhere in any soil condition.  They will also happily take over your garden, spreading and vining everywhere.  They will also suffocate other garden plants.  Crowder peas are very high in caloric proteins so they might be a good choice to grow along a fence and away from your main garden.  They are a prolific bean and grow in long, slender pods and the beans form closely in the pod. That is why they are called "crowder peas."  Are they worth planting...sure.  The beans are not real large, but you get a lot of beans  from the pod(s).  I saved the seeds from last year; I just won't plant them anywhere my tomatoes, peppers or eggplants.  Along the fence is a very good place for them here and I hope they choke out the other vines that I DON'T want.
*
When the seven years of plenty
 in the land of Egypt had passed
the seven years of famine began
as Joseph had foretold.
There was famine in all other countries,
while in all Egypt there was food.
*
Genesis 47, 53,54
*

I didn't submit the entire passage, but anyone can find it in their Bibles and read it in its entirity.  Famines occur world wide and often.  If this nation were to have a famine-and there are people going hungry right now...would you be prepared-ready?

END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If the predictions are true, then we had better make sure we are prepared and ready pretty darn quick.

I just came back from the grocery store where not only did I pick up supplies for this week but I bought some canned items on a very good sale to put back in my emergency supply.

They had various canned meats on sale for 10 for $10 so I bought 10 of them. And they had some good soups on sale, Progresso,,, 4 for $5, I bought 4 of them.

I also stopped by Win's house to pick up more of my canning supplies that I had stored there. I have tomatoes from last years garden to make into sauce yet and I have several chickens I am going to cook and make into soup to can. I plan on putting most if not all of my canned items from the garden and such back for emergencies.

I just read a prediction that this will be a bad growing year and many crops will fail, making the costs much higher in the stores and some items unavailable. Stock up now while you can.