Saturday, January 22, 2011

A FISHY STORY

Mackerel: I bought several cans of Mackerel when they were on sale a while back. I have only used a couple of cans, thus far. Today I opened a can and made a simple Mackerel Salad-akin to Tuna Salad; quick and easy. Mackerel is an "inexpensive" oily fish and has a lot of cholesterol in it. The can label says 45% per serving, but only 90 calories per serving. The label also says it contains 2 servings, but I think there may be 3 to 4 servings in the can, esp. if you make a salad with i t, as I did. Of course, there is the 2 slices of toast and the dressing used to make the salad. I'm guessing that altogether it might be about 3-350 calories consumed for lunch. I will have some more for supper along with a good bowl of soup. There was about a half a can of liquid that I drained off that will go into a fish chowder in a couple days or so.
I thought I had used up the last of my sweet relish when I made the Mackerel Salad, but just to be certain I checked my "closet" and found two new jars.  I pulled one out to use,.  I will replace it when I go shopping as I am making a "replacement List."  Anything with vinegar in it will last a very long time.  Ketchup will turn dark as it ages, but as far as I can tell the flavor remains the same.

You know WHO called twice today.  I am usually doing something when she calls and find it disruptive.  This last time(just a short time ago) I told her that I was having my phone shut off at midnight Sunday.  Actually, I am blocking her calls.  I called AT&T yesterday and found out how to do it.  I should not be reduced to having to do this, but that is the way it is.
*
BETTER A POOR MAN
STRONG AND ROBUST,
THAN A RICH MAN
WITH A WASTED FRAME.
MORE PRECIOUS THAN GOLD
IS A HEALTH
AND WELL BEING,
CONTENTMENT
OF SPIRIT
THAN CORAL.
*
Sirach 30, 14-15
*
Occasionally I will refer to a verse or passage from the Bible that I have used before...just because I like it.

END




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings Mabel!!

I can't eat any kind of fish or seafood, deathly allergic. I used to be able to eat tuna fish when I was younger if it was packed in water and not oil and if I rinsed it several times before I made it into tuna salad for sandwhiches but a few years ago even that changed and after one bit of the sandwich I was having an allergic reaction. :-(

I am so happy you found out how to block that lady from calling you any more. Nothing worse than having a bothersome person pestering you. And blocking is certainly easier than having to change your phone number.

It is Sunday so I won't be posting on my own blog today but I did want to come in an post a comment here. This is a day of rest and of bible study for me. A special time to spend with my Lord and Savior.

May you be blessed on this chilly Sunday!!
Alice