Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Americans cook post haste...as fast as we can.  If it isn't fast enough there is always Wendy's, Golden Corral, McDonald's, the sub shops, pizza places and all the rest.  It has become our lifestyle due to both parents working or the culture we have become accustomed to.  Even Chief Ramsey's Hell's Kitchen is a "hurry up, get it done yesterday," show.  Fast cooking or fast food isn't always all that good, 'though.  The French used to always have "potherbs  on the back of their stoves, simmering during the day.  I don't know how they cook now, but they still have their famous cooks and chiefs.

Bread:  We buy bread that is processed , sanitized, pulverized, vitamin-ized, and chemical-ized by the ton, planted and cultivated in big kettles, and then, on the tongue, tastes much-like glue that sticks to your teeth and roof of your mouth.  Dare I mention "homemade bread" that takes a little time and effort...surly not!  I am just as guilty as anyone, buying "store bought bread."  Every once in a while I get the yen.  And then...

I baked two loaves of bread from scratch.  They didn't turn out pretty, but smelled good and tasted better, esp. hot from the oven slathered with butter.  That was supper and a second slice with jelly was for dessert. One loaf will go into the freezer and the other loaf goes in me.

It has been a long time since I made bread the old fashioned way. Because it was hard on the arm..I will use my bread machine next time.
 
Did anyone see the "Mrs. President" get off the plane today?  Could her pants get any tighter or form fitting?

*
RISE UP, YE RICH WOMAN,
AND HEAR MY VOICE:
YE CONFIDENT DAUGHTERS,
GIVE EAR TO MY SPEECH.
FOR AFTER DAYS
AND A YEAR,
YOU THAT ARE CONFIDENT
SHALL BE TROUBLED,
FOR THE VINTAGE
IS AT AN END,
AND THE GATHERING
SHALL COME NOT MORE.
*
Isaias 32, vs.9-10
*
END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mabel,,, I made my living last year baking and selling at the farmers market here. My most popular seller was home made bread. I made so much bread every week I have arm muscles like a man, LOL. I get tired of baking it because of all that work. But I will always bake it for home. It is much better for you.

I have a recipe that makes three loaves at a time, which saves a lot of time! I use natural honey instead of processed sugar. When I am really ambitions I grind my own grains.

I plan on making Ezekiel bread very soon. My brother Leon wants a loaf. Ezekiel 4:9 lists all the grains that are used in the bread. This is the perfect bread. No fat,,, honey instead of sugar and a complete protein from the grains. God is so very good!!

I have a grain mill so I buy the grains whole and mill them myself.

I guess I am just an old fashioned gal who likes the old ways. :-)