Saturday, July 16, 2011

Murphy's been hangin about.

You know about Murphy's law:  If anything can go wrong, it will.  And on a week-end to boot.

This morning when I went to turn on the A/C the power blew in the front(living)room.  I did all the circuit board stuff several times, but to no avail.  I know it wasn't something that I did or that the circuit was overloaded.  I started to call the guys who installed the overhead light when they were here working on the ceiling and the walls.  I decided not to because of the way they worked before and lack of professionalism and knowledge.  I called a real electrician and was lucky enough that he came over on his way to the farm for the week-end off.

Sure enough, the problem is in the light's wiring.  It can't be fixed before Monday.  They will have to cut a hole into the new ceiling as they can not get even a finger into it.  The electrician is a really big guy who would get stuck in the attic opening and then suffer in the intense heat.

They rigged up a connection for the A/C and the freezer.  The freezer was what I was really concerned about.  I had already plugged it into another cord before they got here, but they did a better job.  I only worry about tripping over a cord.  That is how I fractured my arm in the first place: tripping over a cord while vacuuming the living room.

The things that I had planned for the day just didn't happen.  I planned to hang new curtains in the living room and hang the old curtains in the back store room and on the outer storm door.  I did go to the store and get new rods and brackets.  I also stopped at Wendy's and got the value meal.  It is just to hot to cook. 

My cast iron tea pot came this afternoon, too.  It only weighs  a few pounds, but I couldn't pick it up with my right arm/hand. The little boy who came with his dad was delighted to do the honors an get the box open for me.  He told me all about his garden.  It sounds like he  is a better gardener than me

So, now you know how this day went or didn't pan out the way I thought it would.   We all have these kinds of days now and then.  You know, "The best laid plans of mice and men...."   Still, I am happy and won't complain.  I have a roof over my head, food to eat, and the A/C is working.  What else do I need...other than enough money to pay the electrician.  All things  work out through a higher power than we...or me.

END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings Mabel!!

I am all too familiar with Murphy's Law,,,, unfortunately!! I have had many a day like that myself. I think you need to send those workers the electrician's bill when he is done fixing their botched job. I am happy the electrician was able to at least help make sure you had a/c in this heat and keep the freezer running. Now you be careful of those cords!!

My plans for the day yesterday didn't totally happen either. I only got about half done and will have to finish up later today or some time tomorrow in between appointments. But at least they really are nothing major. I also have to get through some legal documents today as I promised my lawyer I would call him in the morning. But first things first, I am going to church and sing for my Lord. :-)

Hope you have a great Sunday and stay cool and don't over do in this heat!!

Love, Alice