Monday, July 11, 2011

A SPOONFULL OF CINNOMON

When I was small (boy, was that a long time ago) my mother would mix Cinnamon and sugar together and give it to me on a spoon.  I guess because my sister and I always had bad colds finally had our tonsils taking out.  I remember that it tasted good-like candy and that I was willing to be dosed up with it.  I don't know the exact measurements, but it was probably about one to one.  One teaspoon of sugar to one teaspoon of  Cinnamon.  A while back I mentioned that she would make us Cinnamon Toast.  I liked that, too.

Like, who knew back then that Cinnamon was good for you and has many health benefits?  It must have been a Mother's intuition combined with old fashioned herbal folk lore and medicine.  Anyway, I am still here and I still like Cinnamon Toast and Cinnamon on a spoon.  I am going to list some of the good things and benefits of Cinnamon.

  1. Culinary of course, in so many foods we eat and flavor.
  2. Candida/yeast infections.
  3. Colds
  4. Diabetes with Diabetes medication.
  5. Ingestion and indigestion.
  6. General
  7.  Health.
  8. IBS(irritable bowel syndrome)
  9. Influenza
  10. Insect Repellent
  11. Nausea
A whole host of other benefits that are being studied. All this and  more you can find through the Internet.  You can find where to buy Cinnamon, where it comes from and how to use it.  It is interesting to read about. Hey, I'll bet you didn't know you had all the medicine hiding in your kitchen cabinet, filed under "spices." Oh, life is full of the mysteries that our mothers and grandparents knew that has been lost under cobwebs and time.

A Day At The Beach...or Misting The Widows..or Aluminum Foil...take your pick for a title for this:

The heat is extreme.  It has been a long time since the temps. have been 100 F. or the humidity around 90%.  It has been a long time since I have done the following and here is the reason why.

My back porch is concrete.  The back store room has a concrete floor.  The patio is concrete.  They are very effective heat sinks, pulling in the high temps. and holding them from early morning until late night.  The back porch has a glass storm door.  The store room has two windows.  No, I never bothered with curtains because you can not see into the house.

This morning I misted the windows and applied aluminum foil over the damp windows.  The mist holds the foil like glue, but you can easily remove the foil.  It reflects the heat outward and makes a big difference in your comfort level. 

The backside of the house get the full sun in the morning and usually I like to look out the back door and watch the birds in the bird bath.  Not today.  The front side gets the high noon and setting sun and becomes very hot.  I didn't mist or cover the windows on the front because it faces the street, but I am tempted! 

You know, it is just too hot to write, even with two A/C's and fans going flat out.   Here is where I stop.
 END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings Mabel!!

The heat indexes here yesterday reached a whopping 117F even my poor dog did not want to go out!! Foiling windows is a good idea, and I have used it before. I also have heavy drapes that I pull closed on the windows that gets the most amount of sun.

Did you know you can take a teaspoon of cinnamon, mix a couple of drops of cooking oil into it to make a paste and apply that to a toothache to pull out the pain and infection?? I have tried it and it does work.

It is suppose to be a bit cooler today here, but not by much. Still way to hot to be out working in the yard or garden. Grateful I got the bulk of it caught up for a while.

Today I have some paperwork to finish up and then I am going to do a little packing. Perhaps I will make some macaroni and potato salad too. I like eating cool meals in this type of weather.

Hope you have a great day and stay cool!!

Love ya, Alice