Friday, July 15, 2011

PRACTISING POVERTY-lol!

Today I am practising poverty...being poveretical.  I set up my machine on the kitchen table(small house)got out some old socks and pillow cases and broke a lot of thread in getting started.  The bobbin was empty so I had to fill that.  Then I put the machine on a tight overcast pattern, pulled the holes on my socks together and  "darned" the darned toes.  Well, it really isn't darning per se.  The seames are on the outside so that I don't rub my delicate toes.  I call them "garden socks" or even yard socks.  I won't mind getting them all green and grungy. 
Next came the pillow cases.  They are so old that they had "Moses" stenciled inside them.  I have fixed them before, but today I fixed the "fixes."  They are so thin that you can count the hairs on your chin(got some)?

Don't get the impression that I don't have decent socks and linens because I do.  It just that I don't have TV until Sept., no books to read, too hot to do yard work...and I needed something to do.

Next I practised button hole stitches and some fancy stitches on some old material.  I think I will leave the sewing machine out for a while even though it is in the way on the kitchen table.  I think I might make something...other than a mess.

Last eve. I hung a kind of bamboo shade over the back storm door.  I didn't have the right brackets, but I have...duct tape.  When I go to the store I will get some rods and brackets.  The shade does make a difference.  I wish I could find a couple more like that.

Last night when I went to bed I forgot to turn the O2 on.  I did turn the CPAP machine on.  I was so tired that I slept all night without the O2.  Today I have a headache, 'though.  Before I was put on the machines I would just fall over.  Once while charting I fell over and hit my chin on the desk.  I'll bet the Sisters thought I was on drugs or something.  It is amusing now as I look back on it, but it wasn't so funny then, esp. when I fell over(off)the commode and hit my face on the bathtub.  THEY thought that was hilarious! Who  falls of a toilet?  Me did.

I am not writing about herbs tonight.  Maybe tomorrow.  I am sure people would rather read about something else for a change.

END



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings Mabel!!

I have wanted to get my sewing machine out and make some long skirts but with the impending move I have opted to wait until that is over with. I have more than enough to keep me busy in the meantime, LOL.

It is good to know these basic skills. I only taught myself how to sew about 5 years ago. But I have made myself several dresses and saved a ton of money doing it. Plus I have repaired a lot of things that otherwise would have been turned into cleaning rags, again saving a ton of money.

I have gotten most of the curtains and shades drawn to help reflect away the heat. Every little bit helps!! I am going to get groceries early this morning so I don't have to go out in the worse heat of the day. Then I will clean filters in the air conditioners and batten down the hatches till the heat wave is over.

Hope you stay cool too!!
Love, Alice