Tuesday, August 21, 2012

CORN CHOWDER AND THOUGHTS



I'll bet you were wondering what I was going to do with all that creamed corn that I stocked up on.  Well, here is a fairly simple recipe that I have posted a while back and have recourse to post it again.  Enjoy.

CORN CHOWDER

1/2 LB. OF DICED BACON
1 MEDIUM ONION, CHOPPED
1//2 CUP CHOPPED CELERY
WITH THE TOPS
2 TABLESPOONS OF FLOUR
4 CUPS OF MIlk
1 CAN CREAMED CORN
1 CAN OF SMALL
TINY WHOLE POTATOES
OR DICED POTATOES
1/2 TEASPOON OF SALT
1/8 TEASPOON OF PEPPER
SNIPPED PARSLEY
PAPRIKA

In a large saucepan fry bacon until crisp, remove and drain.  Pour all but 3 tablespoons of the drippings (bacon fat) from the sauce pan.  Add onions and celery to the drippings, cook and stir until the onions are tender.

Remove from the heat and blend in the flour.  Cook over low heat and stir until the mixture is bubbly then remove from heat.  Stir in the milk and heat until boiling stirring all the time.  Boil and stir for one minute.

Stir in the corn, potatoes, salt and pepper.  Heat thoroughly and stir in the bacon.  Serve with a sprinkle of parsley and paprika.

This should be about six servings.

If you don't have bacon you can use diced ham or canned  fish or fresh fish if you have it. If you use fish it becomes fish chowder.  Drain the liquid from the canned fish and use it for something else. You could also use diced chicken, pork, or even diced hot dogs, according to your pocket book or pantry.  Just be sure that the chicken or pork are well cooked.  Use what you have.  Often good food or good recipes are the result of necessity and imagination.

OK, I got nothing done today.  I am really good at that.  Actually I did go out and get a haircut which was badly needed.  My hair seems to grow fast.  And I did wash a load of cloths and dry them.  I hope that sounds a little less lazy.  I keep forgetting where I placed my  box of ambition and my cup of energy. Has anyone seen where I put that stuff?

+++

MANY ARE THE PLANS
IN A MAN'S HEART,
BUT IT IS THE
DECISION
OF THE LORD
THAT ENDURES.

Proverbs 19: 21



I don't make too many long range plans anymore.  I can't see that far into the future.  I don't know if that comes from getting older or wiser or the combination of the two estates.  I am more apt to take things as they come and accept the flow of what I am given.  I look ahead, of course, but next year is not yet on my calander or penciled in.  I will turn the pages over as we exit from one month into another.  When needed I will start a new calander or a new year and ooz my way along at a leasurly pace, according to HIS will and not mine.  If HE wants me to "pick it up" a little bit or just slow it down , I can do that, too.  Remember the quote of "Stop and smell the roses?"   Remember to do just that.  If you adhere to that addage, then you are also praying to that tune and the music is gentle, sweet and hypnotic to the spirit. So, I don't make many big plans for the future as the future will unfold itself.


END











No comments: