Thursday, May 21, 2009

Just blogging

The no. 1 reason I have not indulged in a survivalist mode of blogging is because a lot of the "Survival" blogs are robbing and borrowing and generally plagiarizing other blog sites You could wallpaper NY City with information and disinformation. A lot of blogs are helping out the economy by telling readers to "buy this, buy that" or you must spend umpteen fortunes to be safe. If what the survivalist predict becomes even a half-way event no one would be really safe in a world of chaos. So I generally refrain from the doomsday scenario. All predictions could happen, might happen, but may not ever occur. I think I would worry more about weather-related catastrophes and pandemic/epidemics. These are the things that I do prepare for.

I do have a small food supply, emergency light sources such as candles and lamps and several radios. I need to do a little more, but all preparedness has a certain monetary outlay. Not everyone can afforded to spend as much as some bloggers recommend. And did you know that "hoarding" is a crime? It was wartime legislation that has never been repealed as far as I know.

Things to have if you can afford to.
1. Food for several days
2. water for several days
3. a weather radio/radio
4. lamps or candles and a way to light them
5. Clothing for warm/cold weather
6. first aid kit and ability to use it.
7. emergency money and change
8. a map and options for relocating.
9. cell phone or prepaid phone.
Retired and disabled persons can get a
free phone with 60 free minutes from
safe link.com
10. good old common sense and logic, a can opener and a lighter.

These are just basic items if the weather kicks up or the economy becomes more sluggish or even fails. Anyone can take a basic outline and add to it, alter it to their own personal/medical needs.

I have kept what I call a "go bag" in my car since 1976 after a blizzard came roaring across the plains bringing the Ohio Valley to its knees. I was not able to leave my work place for two weeks and my car was literally buried by the snow plow that finally got through. The highways were closed to all traffic other than emergency vehicles and even they had a tough "go." Now these prepared bags are called GOTB.(Get out of town bags) or BUG OUT BAGS and are very popular in the vernacular of the the survivalist, loaded with all things needed for THE END TIMES.

Spend what you will, but have what you need, not what you want...unless you have deep pockets. Our forefathers crossed the continent with very little, yet survived. You can, too, without becoming a para-militant, green cameo kind of guy or girl.

I am open to all comments, good bad or hostile. I believe in your right to free speech.

When I was watching the chickens from a lawn chair under the Pear Tree a goofy rooster decided to jump up and perch on my knee, just to look me over, up close and personal. Since I didn't want little presents(poo) dropping on my knee I shooed him off.

I am very tired today and here is why. At 3 AM the phone rang and thinking it might be about Big Brother's surgery I tried to get to the phone before the answering machine kicked in. It was some stupid automated call about security sales or something. After that I couldn't get back to sleep, finally gave up and got up.

END

1 comment:

d.a. said...

Your advice makes good sense. I gave up reading the "hard core" survivalist blogs awhile ago - too much bunker mentality.