Friday, May 8, 2009

Rain Forest

The sky turned black and the street lights came on at one thirty in the afternoon. I was by the chicken condo when a clap of thunder cracked. It made the chickens panic and jump. It made me jump, too. This is the first severe storm the chickens have experienced since being outside. I hope they can get used to it because we have a lot of bad storms in the summertime. The storms usually blow in from the west or southwest and continue on east. An eighteen wheeler went down the other street and blasted its air horn. That made the chickens panic, too.

You don't know the job you start until you are well into it. I spent some time in trying to put things in good order and a lot of time shredding old mail,paper and and documents. The chickens love shredded paper to scratch through.

I found that putting dry egg shells in a blender will grind them up into very small pieces. Then they can go into the waterers. They seem to like tea leave and coffee grounds in a little left-over grease. I don't have a lot of table scraps to toss out. Maybe I could be a dumpster diver. It would be just my luck to fall into a dumpster.

I am not sure when the hens will start laying eggs. I figure around October, but will have to wait and see.

Because this has been a quiet, rainy day and I have been inside most of the day, I have little to write about. I guess I need a guest writer..like Beverly. My sister Beverly is very knowledgeable in many, many ways and things.

END

No comments: