Friday, May 15, 2009

MAD AS HELL

I am really angry. The city of Henderson which is located in the heart of an agricultural county says I can't have chickens and that I most tear down my chicken coop. It OK for a horse farm over on Clay Street to have several horses in town because they are zoned "agricultural" even though the area is surrounded by residential homes and even a few business. It is OK for a Rottweiler to run loose and tear up a little dog because "dogs are not regulated" by the city. There are two large dogs that run loose in their yard and not on chains, frequently getting out of their yards. The little guy across the alley is afraid of them. The dogs smell up the whole area with doggy poo and did long before I got chickens, but that is OK.

I take care of my chickens. They are well fed and cared for. I clean their run and coop so they won't smell. They are not out running loose in the neighborhood killing other dogs or attacking people. When was the last time a chicken went after a human with beck and feathers. Damn, I am ticked off.

I got the letter of violation at noon today. I called and complained and said I wanted to file a protest. They said that I only had until Monday afternoon to do so...very little time, indeed. I drove over and filed my protest and there will be a hearing on June 7th. This is a new code only passed in 2007. Did they announce it from the roof tops? I don't know.

I thought I was going to have fresh organic eggs. Organic eggs in the store are nearly $4.00 a dozen. I have put a lot to time and effort into my chickens and chicken condo, as well as money. I don't have lots of money to tear down the chicken coop. What shall I do with the chickens, strangle them? They are pets, darn it!

Its all about money. If the city can't see money in something, a permit fee, a variance fee or added tax to your property, they will find a way to get into the pocket of a citizen, one way or another

I can see where all the Survivalist are hyped up about losing basic freedoms. We have already lost. I will go to the hearing and protest, but I don't know how to fight the city elite. I am poor, ageing and on a fixed income. Any suggestions, anyone?

I did let the chickens out in the yard for an hour. Another storm came up and they panicked. Guess who got doused trying to get the back in? They actually wanted to get back in, but didn't know which way to run. Hey, what about the feral cats that are lurking about. Why doesn't the city do something about them? Can't catch a cat and make it pay taxes.

This has been my best effort of a rant. Do I rant well? By the way, I can't really recommend Woodchuck on your dinner plate unless you want to call it "survival food."

END

1 comment:

d.a. said...

I wish you best possible outcome in getting to keep your chickens. Good luck, and keep us posted!