Monday, May 18, 2009

WHO LET THE CHICKENS OUT

I let the chickens out to forage in the yard. They found a hole in the fence and did what chickens do: sought their fortunes in the "new world." It took me about 6 hours to get them back in. As I was herding the last of the lost into the run a city car came down the alley and slowed down than came to a full stop by the yard next door. I am supposed to have until the hearing in June before knelling before the alter of city commissioners.

James Reed finished cleaning up his yard. The renters have tossed all kinds of junk into a corner of his yard. An 80 year old man with a bad heart shouldn't have to clean up someone elses' trash.

These past two days have been very nice, but cool. Cool weather in mid-May is not that common in Western Ky. so I am enjoying it while it last.

Big brother will have spinal surgery on Wed. The surgery is supposed to last about 6 hours. I hope it turns out well as he is in a lot of pain.

I have not gotten much done this day unless you count chicken chasing. I have a lawn chair under the Pear tree. As soon as I would get up from the chair the chickens got in. It was so funny to see several chickens occupying a lawn chair.

I can not let the chickens out again. It is too time consuming to round them up and corral them again. I would let them be except for the stray cats that roam the neighborhood. One is so thin that it could do some serious snaking through some small spaces.

I cleaned out the smoker yesterday. If the pretty days hold I will smoke some pork chops-no chicken. I gave all my left over to the aviators so now I have to start over and find something to eat. It was an act of enticement, but it didn't work well on the little beasties. It just emptied out the larder/fridge.

END

1 comment:

d.a. said...

If you're of a mind to do so, try out electrified poultry netting. A city friend of mine keeps her girls in one, and it keeps out the local cats and raccoons - nobody likes a zap to the nose!