Friday, August 28, 2009

High Drama

Sleep evades me. I didn't sleep Wed. night and I sure didn't sleep last night. I read until after midnight then took a Melatonin tablet, turned off the lights and went to bed. Melatonin is a natural sleep enhancer that is available over the counter and does not have side effects. I went to sleep and was in deep slumber land when I heard pounding on my front door. My house was lit up like a Christmas Tree. I was sure that aliens had come to suck me up into their space ship. I got up and looked out the window and saw two squad cars parked in the middle of the street and search lights on my house. I thought my house was on fire or there was a drug raid going on or some dire deed afoot. I hurried to toss on some cloths and turn on the lights and answer the door. The police were still pounding on the door. So I get the chain off, unlocked the door and unlocked the storm door. Four cops, three on the porch and one in the a car. They scared the poop out of me at 3 A. M. in the morning. They said a neighbor had called in and told them they hadn't seen me all week and they were checking on me. At 3 A. M. in the morning.

I had been in and out of the house most of the week and out in the garden. It nice that they were just doing their job, but couldn't they have come a bit earlier? Man! Needless to say I was not able to go to back to sleep so I stayed up and read. At 8 A. M. I crawled back into bed and just nicely got to sleep and the telephone rang and jolted me out of out of my reverie. So I ran to the phone in a mental fog to answer the infernal ding-a-ling thing and they had hung up..try again. I went back to bed and had just drifted off and the phone rang again. This time it was my eye Dr. telling me that there was a mix-up on my eye drops...call the pharmacy. I gave up, stayed up and finished my book which was a very good book: No Country for Old Men.

I didn't go to Wal-Mart or go pick up my eye drops or anything else. I am too tired to drive and that is a danger to myself and others. Therefore, I stayed home.

I am cooking another sweet potato in the steamer. It is suppertime and I hope I get to eat it in peace. High drama doesn't appeal to me at all.

If anyone was paying attention to the news they will have noticed that Congress is trying to pass a new law where the government can take over cybernet and private Internet in an "emergency situation" This would be control of communications. They tried to do this last spring and it died before it could be passed. Now they have changed the wording and are trying it again. They also want to abort talk shows and take over the PBC programming as well. Yes, it is true. I saw it on one of the crawlies that runs across the bottom of the TV screen. Be afraid for your constitutional right for free speech.

Whirlpool announced today that they are moving to....you guessed it...Mexico . They will shed over 1000 employees here locally. That will have a pretty bad ripple effect in our local economy.
This they will do even though they were given all kinds of tax breaks and perks to keep them here. Bad, bad, bad.

I am going to eat my supper and hope for the best. MAYBE I CAN SLEEP TONIGHT!!!

END










m

1 comment:

d.a. said...

Sweet dreams to you!