Saturday, August 22, 2009

Omm

I have spent the day(not all of it) reading a paperback about a young ascetic's journey through life, seeking Nirvana. The book was written in 1927, way before the advent of hippies, LSD, communes or "enlightened ones" seeking truth. At first I thought it would be pretty boring, but then I couldn't put it down, even though it was written in a slightly stilted style. I got to thinking, aren't we all seeking truth and enlightenment-Nirvana? Maybe that is part of the move for independence from the government-back to the earth mode, we find ourselves in. We don't trust the government and we are disenchanted with the society and the norms of our present culture. I don't think many of us would cast off our clothing and divest all our property and material things, but we all know that "less is more." We are all seekers and most of us don't really know what we are looking for. I think many that are involved in the present day drug scene are carry overs from the hippie generation and the new crop of seekers of enchantment and release from pain, responsibilities and reality. After all, life isn't always pleasant, love and roses or Woodstock. BTW, the name of the book is SIDDHARTHA by Hermann Hess. The copy I have was printed in 1972 and the author had passed away in1962. I had to borrow the paperback and the book may be out of print. Ask around or check the library, if at all interested.

There are those that say that religion is the opium of the masses. Obama said that we "cling to our guns and religion." Now he is courting the various religious groups, sects and established Churches in order to proselytize his new deity, The House of Spendaholics. His church has no foundation and is built on sand. He needs to do a little seeking and discernment. He should become a seeker.
END

There is nothing wrong with organized religion other than it is organized and doesn't really go much further than being an obligatory, kind of group thing. I am just not into organized religion anymore. I know what is right and wrong, good or bad and how to follow the Ten Commandments. I am not aways wise, sometimes slovenly, lazy occasionally out spoken. That's life and then some. I am who I am and the government, society or religion can do little to change me at this late date. But Oh, to be enlightened. Sigh

1 comment:

d.a. said...

"I got to thinking, aren't we all seeking truth and enlightenment-Nirvana?"

I agree. I've heard good things about that book, too.