Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A slow day

Well, I was tired from my little road trip of yesterday so I slept late and that felt good. I didn't really do much today, either.

I did go out to pick of pears from the pear tree, but Chuck and Judy had picked it bare. A bare pear tree. They knew I wanted to take pears to the nursing home, but there are none to take. They must have pulled all the onions, too. They didn't leave any for my own personal use.There will be no shared garden next year. I only got what they didn't like. Well, at least I got some carrots.

I cooked pork chops, carrots, some okra and little potatoes from my potato bucket. The potatoes from the bucket were small and few, but they were pretty good. I don't think it is the best way to raise potatoes, but it was an interesting experiment.

I continue to stock up. Today I found canned sausages. There weren't very many cans on the shelf and some were dented, so I only bought two cans. Tomorrow I may go to the Dollar Store and look around, maybe visit the Salvation Army and the Good Will Store and look for some books to read or some bargains to add to my stock.

We got a short shower today and we needed it. Whereas a couple weeks ago we were nearly swimming in heavy rains, now we are into the August heat-drought and the ground is hard and dry. I still think we will have a long, hard winter.

There isn't much to post about so I will get some more stuff out of the van.

END

1 comment:

d.a. said...

Bummer there were no leftover pears!

There's a tree on the land next to the nursery where I work that has pears on it - hope to forage some of those pears on Sunday after work. Thinking of making ginger-spiced pears to can.