Tuesday, August 18, 2009

OUT AND ABOUT

A friend and I went to the Abby and did some shopping in their gift store. Debbie bought a lot of items; I just bought a few. I don't know how much she spent, but the back of my van was full and she had to roll her goodies out on a cart. I will buy more items later. I find The Abby Gift Store just a bit too rich for my Social Security. We buy inexpensive items, wrap them and give them to the residents at the nursing home from where I retired. The Sisters also give them presents at Christmas, but it always utilitarian. That is good 'though because they can always use new cloths or sweaters. We get fun stuff, things for their rooms and yummies.

I started doing this almost 30 years ago when I heard that a resident had been "disowned" by her children. That wasn't really the case. While finding some items for that person I found a picture and the reason they never came to visit her. It was a picture of two adult caskets and two
small caskets. Her family had been killed in a head on collision on their ways up from the south to visit her. That is the true story and I have been leaving little gifts on the bed of the residents on "my floor" at Christmas ever since.

When Debbie came to work at The Little Sisters she picked up it and it has become a little tradition to do the deed. For years we have also giving them a little Christmas Party on the floor, also. Debbie is the major cook/party girl. I do the deviled eggs, the home made wine and cheeses. We did a late party after Christmas and after I messed up my arm. Basically, I was there and watched. I hope I do a better job this year.

We usually start shopping for bargains early and try to get things wrapped and ready. This past year the Sisters helped out a great deal and the residents had a blast.The Sisters give a separate party for the residents as well, and really spoil the old folks. It is a home that gets a 100% rating every year.

Anyway, that is what got me out and about today and it is a good drive. I guess we blew the carbon out of the van. The van is now five years old and only has 33.000 miles on it. That means I haven't done much driving in the past few months. The van and I are gonna rust out together.

I got away from the phone, too. There were messages ,but I didn't call back because we got back late and I was tired, hot and sticky. It was a beautiful day as long as you could stay in A/C and drink tall, coo drinks. And that was my day.

END

1 comment:

d.a. said...

What a wonderful tradition you started. Kudos to you!