Monday, August 24, 2009

Fall Cleanup

I have been out in the garden pulling up some of the dying/dead plants such as lettuce and other greens. There are late radishes in the garden which I have discovered can be boiled, fried or steamed. Cooking the radishes even for just short time(a couple minutes) takes the bite out of them and you have a crunchy addition to your meal. Don't cook the woody ones though. I dug into the sweet potatoes and pulled out a big yellow potato. I will cook it in the pressure cooker tonight. I picked off the beans that were left, thinking I will get them before someone else does. Chuck has been keeping an eagle eye on the sweet potatoes, too. I will try to dig some up before they are gone, too. My arm gives me fits so I don't know how much digging I will get done. I also cut back the Spinach and Swiss Chard, hoping for a new growth spurt. The garden is dry, but rain is coming in a few days...so the weather man says. I would like to sow some turnips in the area that I am clearing out.

I have a new guest in my yard. It is another woodchuck. It has probably been living in the open trash pile next to my fence, and drawn by that nice, green garden on this side. There is now a trap waiting for it. I guess that I will have to call the codes dept. to get that J@#$@#S to clean up the mess. I am tired of asking. That house and the occupants have been a thorn in my yard and fence for years.

My Internet connection fades in and out so I will stop here.

END

No comments: