Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fun with beans


I have a Crock Pot of Bean Soup simmering away and it smells so good. When I was a kid I didn't like any thing associated with beans. We had beans for appetizers, beans for the main meal and umm...beans for desert. Oh, I take that back. We seldom had desert. It has taken me many years to get over my aversion to beans. Now I do like beans to some extent. I especially like bean soup.

Most bean soup recipes are pretty basic, but you can tweak them according to your taste. You need to soak them over night-every one knows that-right? Of course, you can buy canned beans, but that is "cheating" and more expensive. So, if you soak your hard Navy beans overnight you get about double/triple the amount for less money. I did use a half can of Spam chopped up with one whole , chopped onion(love onions) and added a half can of diced tomatoes. Chopped up some celery and shaved a carrot. Looking good! I also added some bacon, salt and pepper to the mix. Yup, I tweaked it up pretty good. It has been in the Crock Pot several hours now on low. I will leave it on low overnight. Oh, it does smell ever so yummy. I will freeze some of it. After all I can't eat a whole Crock Pot full of Bean Soup too quickly. You know what that would do to the environment...and my house...and my tummy.

I didn't get much work done today, but the dishes are washed and the trash is out for pickup in the morning. I was going to take more odds 'n ends to The Salvation Army, but didn't do that either. I went to the store and got all of $10.00 worth of groceries because I didn't have carrots or celery on hand. I really don't need much as I am well stocked up with canned goods, dry beans and split peas. I hope to save a little now.

I have had so much trouble with Insight that I called Dish Network today and they will re-install my TV service in Oct. I am not sure which Internet service I will go with. I have a cell phone so I can go without a land line for a few days while I "scout" around for a company. If I don't have a land line for a few days...then a certain pest can not call me several times a day, every day. That might be the final resolution to a long time aggravation!!


****


TO YOU BEFORE THE CLOSE OF DAY
CREATOR OF THE WORLD WE PRAY
THAT WITH YOUR WONTED FAVOR THOU
WOULD BE OUR GUARD AND KEEPER NOW

****

End






No comments: