Friday, September 10, 2010

Liver 'n onions

I pulled some liver out of the freezer earlier this afternoon to thaw out. You really don't need a recipe for liver and onions. I sliced an onion and put it on to fry over med. heat while I rinsed the liver and dredged the pieces in flour. You can use salt and pepper to taste. I used some left over bacon grease in the pan to caramelize the onions and a bit more to fry the liver in. The important thing to remember is that liver cooks very quickly. I used med. heat and watched it pretty carefully. If you overcook the liver it will be tough-like chewing shoe leather. As soon as the juices stop flowing the liver is done. The two pieces left in the pan I will reheat slightly and then chop and grind into "Liver Patae'." It will be better than what you buy in the store. The reason you do not see the fried onions in the pan is-well, I love fried onions. How is your X-Ray vision? Can you see into my tummy? Anyway, I paid $00.99 cents each for two packages about a ago months. Not every one is fond of liver, but it packs a healthy punch of iron.

I found a good use for the can of "ruined" canning salt that I wrote about a couple months back. I cleaned the stove and the sinks with it. I also added a heaping tablespoons to the washer when I was washing cloths this morning. It did a good job of softening the water. The water here comes from the Ohio and is heavy in Lime. I have about a half a can left. I will use it up in cleaning and washing cloths.

I have a really tasty recipe for fudge that was given to me by Sister Alexis. She made fudge every year for the Christmas Boutique...at the nursing home where I worked. Now, she is quite elderly and is in very poor health. Her fudge always sold out. I will post it tomorrow.

I am making some changes to the appearance of this blog...I hope...so don't be surprised.

END

No comments: