Thursday, September 30, 2010

Slow progression

From this... to this...
I am slowly making a "new" chair out of an old, worn, beaten and battered maple chair. This poor old chair has been sitting on my back porch for ages. It has been rained on and been a handy "junk"chair, with everything tossed on it. It is a tribute to the makers of this old chair that it is still serviceable and to my mind, worth saving. I don't know how old it is, bu I have had it for about 25 years or more. It was used when I got it . So, that says something about it's maker; they just don't make furniture to last anymore.
I gave the chair a second coat of paint this afternoon. I want to give to give it one more coat tomorrow. I will look for the little "buttons" that hide the screws and appliques' or stencils to finish it off with...but not tomorrow. The paint that I used didn't show up well. It looks gray or even purple in the picture; it is actually an odd shade of brown. I like the shade.
I mowed the front yard this afternoon. It was looking sad and ratty. The dust was thick and flying from all the dry weather we have had. I had to flood my eyes with Natural Tear Drops to get the crud out of my eyes.
Tomorrow, being Friday, all the checks...SS...SSI..Welfare...Disability and regular paychecks of the working poor, will be in the mailboxes. That means that I will not be out and about, shopping or anything else. It will be a dangerous week-end. The stores started stocking shelves last week and the price of gas rose right in sync. The price of everything rose...right in sync. We are...so manipulated. What else is new.
****
THE OLD WHITE HOUSE
WHERE I WAS BORN
WHOSE WALLS WERE BARE
AND WINDOWS WORN
WAS SMALL IN SIZE
AND DIDN'T MAKE
A PICTURE THAT FOLKS
WANT TO TAKE
IT MUST HAVE HAD
THREE ROOMS AT BEST
AND LOOKED EXACTLY
LIKE THE REST
BUT THERE I WAS THE HAPPIEST
....FOR IT WAS HOME
****
Even though I walk through the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for thou are with me...
Psalm 23:4
END

No comments: