Monday, June 22, 2009

Broiling or Melting

I can't decide which; Am I melting from the high humidity or am I broiling from the heat. It was 97 degrees today with a heat index of 109. The chickens have been suffering in the heat. For that reason yesterday I ran a long power cord out the hen house and gave them a fan to cool them off. The problem is that the fan only circulated hot air. So, early this morning I rigged up a tarp to provide the chickens some shade. They got under the tarp and had some stray breezes now and then. I didn't do a very good job at my rigging because I just can not get my right arm up high enough.

We are now in the middle of a thunderstorm event. The one chicken that got out wanted to get right back in. Chickens do not like rain. The high wind gust tha came up frightened the chickens even further and they were all in a panic, not knowing which way to run. The door of the coop is open so they can shelter within.

I had another interview with another TV station. I am still at odds with the codes dept. They tell me what steps I can take to try to change the codes, but I will either give up because of the time it takes to challenge the city or die trying. I think they are counting on me to give up.

I think I will try to make some Zucchini Bread if it cools off a little. I have never made Zucchini Bread so it will be a interesting endeavor. If...it ever cools off... I will you let you know when and how it turns out.

I remember my Mother making bread the hard way and I have also made it the old fashioned way. It is labor intensive, esp. in hot weather. I don't know how she did it on an old wood stove in the summer time. We are blessed with all the latest electric gadget, gizmo's and appliance. Said that before didn't I?

The weather sirens are wailing so I better shut down and unplug.

END

No comments: