Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Soup 'n stuff

It started out HOT. The humidity is HIGH. What else is new. Well, the garden is dry for one thing. I have been trying to knock down cobwebs with a long duster and a wet sock. Spiders annoy me, but come right back.

Chuck came and mowed the yard and planted some more radishes and some parsnips. It is supposed to rain tonight, but that is what they said for last night and it didn't. We really need the rain now.

I love Split Pea Soup and make mine in the crock pot. Anything that keeps the house from heating up is a good appliance. Anyway, I am including this recipe and it doesn't have to be followed exactly.

SPLIT PEA SOUP
2 cups dried split peas
2 quarts of water
1 ham bone
(I use chopped ham)
1 cup minced celery
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 Sprig of parsley
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Place peas and water in crock pot
Add all other ingredients
Some people add shredded carrots
Trim meat from bone or add whole bone
Set crock pot for high for a couple hrs.
Turn crock pot to low
I usually let mine simmer for about 12 hrs.
I do not hurry it.
You should have about 6 servings
If you are in a hurry you can boil
the split peas for a few minutes
along with the ham bone
and other ingredients
Lower heat and simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hrs.
Slow is better.
Tomorrow is the day I go before the Henderson Commissioners(chicken police). Wish me luck.
Big Brother Harry is out of Rehab. He says his back pain is gone, but his incisions are sore. I am gonna bet he is a little bit shorter than when he went in.
I have been trying to mend things again. Mostly stuff to wear for the garden and chicken coop. The stuff won't last long, but I may get a few more wearings from my "rags."
Is anyone interested in a few more recipes? Speak now or forever eat your own soup 'n stuff.
END

No comments: