Friday, June 5, 2009

Salad Days and stuff

I just got back from wherever I was and whatever I was doing. Yes, I was shopping and spending a little money. I went and got my new blood pressure medicine, too. Yea, I'm gonna live another day!

If you have chickens you probably have eggs. My Mother used to make home made salad dressing/mayonnaise for us, so I thought I would post this recipe. It is pretty simple.
1 whole egg
1/4 cup of salad oil
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash of cayenne red pepper
(use reg. pepper if you wish)
2 tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar
1 cup salad oil
Place 1/4 cup of oil, the whole egg and
remaining ingredients in a blender
Mix on high speed 5 seconds and then turn off
Now beat on high speed adding remaining
salad oil very slowly
Turn off blender occasionally and clean the sides
with a rubber scraper.
You can make variations of this salad dressing by adding your favorite condiments, such as horseradish or onions. It's not hard to make and it's good.
While I was at the Drug Store I had to sit and wait and just look around. I noticed that plain old rubbing alcohol was About $2.69 and peroxide was just about as expensive. Because I use both for various applications I bought them at the Dollar Store for $1.00 each.
Six of the "pretty birdies" managed to zip past my feet this morning. They are no longer afraid of the swishing broom, because I have never used it on them, just swished it at them. I managed to grab two by their legs and "toss" them back into the run. The other four are still roaming about the yard. I did put out water for the renegades so they wouldn't suffer in the heat. They came running for the back porch and the rooster tried to follow me into the house. So, you can see how spoiled and fearless they are.
My niece called to tell me that Big Brother Harry will be released form the Rehab. Center this week-end. My niece is the "Family Clarion." LOL!! I wonder if he just wants to get going.
Let me know if you try out the recipe and/or if you like it.
I have another pitcher of Sun Tea out on the back porch and I am about to go get it, bring it in and put it in the fridge. Then drink it when cool!
End

No comments: