Friday, June 12, 2009

Rugs and stuff

I have been thinking about my Mother and how she used to "make do" especially how she used to make braided rugs out of old cloths. I can't really tell you how to do it, but I could show how you do it. Mom would cut a branch off the Lilac bush and whittle it into a crochet hook. I wish I had one of hers now, but they are long gone. When she was satisfied with her homemade hook she would start a braided chain and crochet a rug from strips of old dresses about an inch wide. If you were to get your instructions from a book it would have you make the long braids and sew them together. I don't think my mother did that unless they were getting old and coming apart. She made several hooked or braided rugs that I can remember, some of them fairly large. After she passed away I was at home and trying to clean thing out I noticed my brother had used one of her homemade rugs to cover his boat motor and ruined it. It made me very sad to see it soaked with oil and out in the old shed being used as a "tarp."
One of these days I will try to make a hooked or braided rug like my mother used to make. It isn't hard and I could do it even with a goofy arm.

A man who had told me he would buy my chickens a month ago is now back pedaling. They are selling in the paper for $7.00 dollars each and I offered mine to him for only $5.00 each. Now he wants to"help me out" and have them for free. People don't realize or just don't care about the time, money and care that goes into raising chickens, not to mention how I feel about giving up my chickens. He will not get them for free because he is not a person of need.

I know that the process of changing city codes takes some time and can be a deliberate, drawn out affair. The results are not guaranteed. In the meantime I have less than 30 days to find my chickens a new home.

I have finally taken the time out to start a crock pot of bean soup. I will let it slow cook for several hrs. and probably have some for supper. It seems like my phone has rung far too often these past two weeks and my days slip away without getting much done. This afternoon I have taken the time to shred up some old mail and will get rid of that, maybe I will spread some in the chicken run as it is a muddy mess today. The chickens like to scratch through it. I already poured a bag of corn cob bedding in the run this morning. When it rains in KY., it comes down in buckets and sheets with a little hail mixed in for good measure.

Back to work....The END

No comments: