Saturday, June 20, 2009

Dropping Out

Several bloggers es have stopped posting. Its garden time and very hot. I imagine that they have plenty to do.

I have several squash to take care of and more zucchini to turn into something. I have thought about canning, but don't think I can lift the big canner. Later I will make tomato juice and can can tomatoes. You don't need the big canner for that.

Most of the lights are off and the blinds are set at an angle to let light in and keep heat out. I have a big fan going on the back porch to vent hot air out and away from the freezer. This morning was sweltering and now we are in the heat of the day. I noticed that in Bath, NY the temperature is in the 70's. They will pay for the beautiful weather in the coming winter when the snow blows and the winds howl in the snow belt of NY State.

I want to go shopping, but dismissed the notion due to the heat. There will be cooler days. I did run out to Wendy's for some fast food. Well, I didn't run: I drove. Normally I wouldn't drive to Wendy's just to get something to eat, but hot days may become exceptions. I don't like to"waste" gas, but will get fast food if I am shopping in an area that has fast food and the timing is near the lunch or supper hour.

I do need to get some canning salt and a few other items for preserving garden produce.

It bothers me that the chickens are suffering from the heat. The best I can do for them is to give them plenty of water. They don't have much shade. I am trying to think of how I can provide some temporary shade for them.

Big Brother Harry is now cleared to drive some. He went to the store and got his wife some Ice Tea. She just had a spinal tap is not felling well at all., but told to consume plenty of caffeine and liquids to help alleviate the side effects.

So, back out to check on the chickens.

END

2 comments:

d.a. said...

Yeah, it's been so dang hot around here, not much to blog about. Just trying to keep the critters comfortable!

How handy are you with hammer & nails, or even a staple gun? I can give you some pointers on how to make a temporary shade, if you like...

d.a. said...

Wait, just thought of something that doesn't require building anything... get some 4' x 8' pressboard or plywood sheets, and lean them up at an angle against a wall. Or string up a couple of clotheslines somewhere, and put up old sheets. That'd be something quick & easy :-)