Saturday, March 19, 2011

Dandy Dandelions

Dandelion.  A simple green in every one's yard.  It's what I had with my fried potatoes, onion tops, beets
and Treet.  I sautead everything in a little bacon drippings and had a good supper.

I went out into the yard looking for Poke, but it isn't up yet.  Instead, I came in with a bag full of Dandelion greens.  You can coat and fry the buds before they open in a little butter, but there are not many buds yet.  You can do the same with the plant crowns-the part just  above the ground.  A lot of people dig up the roots, roast and them, grind them and use them as a coffee substitute
I am not so ambitious that I want to dig the roots up. The greens are also good in a fresh salad mixYou can add the greens to young Polk leaves, onions and other edible foraged greensJust don't use Dandelions as they get bigger and start producing a milky sap because they get bitter.  You can't hardly go wrong with Dandelion greensJust don't pick them when they get too big...or then you will kind of spit them out...no harm done.

As it warmed up later in the afternoon, I raked off some more of the garden.  I want to burn some of
that stuff in the big smoker and use some of the ash in the garden.

Tomorrow, Sunday, it is supposed to be up in the 70's and it may rain a little.  The garden is just starting to dry out so I hope it doesn' rain too much.  So, tomorrow is a day of rest...or maybe not.
*
GOD BLESSED THE SEVENTH DAY
AND MADE IT HOLY
BECAUSE ON IT HE RESTED
FROM ALL HIS WORK
OF CREATION.
*
END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good morning Mabel,

I have never tried some of the greens you have been talking about, perhaps some day I will get up the nerve to try, LOL.

We are suppose to rain all day today. It is on the verge of starting and the wind is picking up and sounding mighty fierce right now.


Today is going to be a day of rest for me, I need it. I have not slept well in several days again and with the rain coming in the pain is flaring up.

I hope you have a good Sunday.
Love, Alice