Saturday, March 12, 2011

Plotting the Garden Plot

I went out into the back yard this afternoon to check the garden plot.  It is still pretty wet and it is supposed to rain tomorrow.  It will not dry out soon.  I keep hoping for a week of sunshine.  I know that I want to get Sweet Potatoes-white potatoes, some turnips, beets, perhaps parsnips and some celeriac in soon.  I think I can get some radishes in fairly soon as I plan on putting them close in, near the back patio.  Also, some spineless Okra along with a row of salad greens-and TOMATOES!  Bush beans, too.

I think this is a prime year to put out a garden.  The price of veggies and produce keeps going up and it is hard on the pocket book.  I hope to get a good output so I can freeze and can good stuff.  Even if you put out a small garden it will help put food on the table.  Every little bit helps.   Even salad greens are well worth growing...and you will know who or what is "fertilizing" your fresh garden salad!

My last summer's garden was a dud due to the long drought.  I hope this coming summer will show a better yield.  It is hard work.  I don't want it to be for nothing or a poor yield of food.

Tomorrow, Sunday, I think I will go to the farm store, Rural King, maybe Lowe's or the local nursery and check out what they may have.  I need Cookies, too!

I brought some items in from my car: 10 cans of soup, 10 cans of Treet, sugar, flour, and corn meal.  I have a few boxes of cake mixes to bring in.  The flour, corn meal and cake mixes I will store in the freezer where they will "keep" for a long time and bugs or weevils can't get in them.  I still urge everyone to stock up as they can or as possible.

*
TAKE HEED NOT TO DO
YOUR GOOD BEFORE MEN
IN ORDER TO BE SEEN
BY THEM;
OTHERWISE YOU
SHALL HAVE NO REWARD
WITH YOUR FATHER
IN HEAVEN.
*
MATT. 6: 1
*
END


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good Sunday morning to you Mabel!!

I still have not gotten my seeds started. I hope to do it today or first thing in the morning on Monday at the latest. All the work around here seems never ending, LOL.

I can't wait to get out in the garden too. But it is a bit too early here yet. I did get a little more yard work done though. Still cleaning up from the winter storms and such.

Hope you have a great day in the Lord!!
Love, Alice