Thursday, March 17, 2011

Purslane


This a picture of common Purslane.  To see it in better detail click on the picture.



Common Purslane grows in my garden.  I used to think it was a weed and would pull it up and toss it away until I discovered that it is an edible "weed" and started to harvest it instead of throwing it out.  It has been gathered and eaten in India  and is now found throughout the world.  It is a succulent plant and can be eaten raw, cooked, frozen or pickled.  Be sure to wash it well as it may be a little gritty.

Purslane is good in salad with other greens.  Most people boil them for about ten minutes and add salt, pepper and butter and use it for a vegetable.  Another good way to prepare Purslane is to cut bacon into small pieces and fry, then add the Purslane and cook for about 8 or ten minutes in the bacon drippings

I have written about natural wild plants before in my posts and will again.  My brother Harry once had a small book about foraging and it stated that no one in America should go hungry, if they just know what to look for.  If gas were not so high per. gallon I would be out driving in the country looking for wild Asparagus.

You can go to the library and get some good books on foraging for wild, edible plants.  You can also find pretty good information about wild plants for food, right on your computer...online.  The one plant...fungus... I don't forage for is wild mushrooms.  I don't know enough about them to be safe.

This day was a piddle day.  I went shopping and got a few things at the DG store in the $1.00 section.  I got a plastic shoe box for some storage and am going back for at least two more and maybe a couple other items. 

I am trying to upgrade my Microwave cart so that it is more utilitarian.  It' about 25 years old now so I won't feel bad about putting a few screws in it to make it serve me better.  I want to add a small towel bar to the side of it and some doors on the front of it so that it looks "neat."  I already have the doors and frame for it.  I just need the ambition.

It got up to 74 F. today, but was really windy.  That helps to dry the garden out, but...there is always a "but"...it is supposed to rain tomorrow. and get a little cooler.

*
BETTER A DISH OF HERBS
WHERE LOVE IS
THAN A FATTED OX
AND HATRED WITH IT.
*
Proverbs 15: 16
*
END


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings Mabel!

Folks around here go "mushroom hunting" each year. I have not done that because like you, I am not sure of the various mushrooms and some are poisonous. I have done some other foraging though but make sure it is only things I am really knowlegable about.

We are going to miss the rain today, thank God! Our ground is still pretty wet as I imagine yours is too.

Have to get Frank to the VA again this morning. Seems never ending with his health. Then time will tell as to what project I get involved in later today. So much to do, so little time, LOL.

Take care!
Alice