Tuesday, March 8, 2011

"Sunshine on my shoulder makes me happy"

Remember that song by John Denver, "Sunshine on my shoulder makes me happy?"  It makes me happy even though more rain is coming this way.  At least today was a fairly nice day.

I went down to the Mighty Ohio to take some pictures of the high waters, and wouldn't you know it, I forgot to put the disk in the camera...darn.  Well, the Ohio will not crest until Friday...so I may yet get some photos.

I took DVDs back to the library and picked up another book to read as soon as I finish the book I am reading now.  I also stopped for milk and looked at the prices that are going up daily.  One single green pepper is now $1.39.  The two quart jug of milk was $2.69 and I will bet the cow didn't see any of the profits.

Out in the western states farmers/ranchers are giving away their horses because they can't afford to buy feed for them.  You will probably see farmers also culling their cattle and pigs for the same reason.  As that happens the price of meat, already at a premium rate, will become almost untouchable.  I am seeing many of the elderly walk away from the meat department, just shaking their heads.  People on fixed incomes are really being hit hard.  $729.00 does not quite make it in theses days of inflation.

I know why the boneless chuck roast I got the other day was on sale.  It is a bit on the tough side, but has good flavor, so I can use it in stews and stir fries, or sliced thinly, fry it for lunch, which is what I did today.

There is about 0 to write about and I considered not even bothering, but I made a personal pact with myself to write every day except on Sundays...thus...this poor blog.
*
TO KEEP THE LAW
IS A GREAT OBLIGATION,
AND HE WHO OBSERVES
THE COMMANDMENTS
SACRIFICES A PEACE
OFFERING.
*
Sirach 35: 1
*
END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings Mabel!!

I am like you, sometimes I do not know what to write about.

Seems like we are running a little higher here on prices. Green pepper here was $1.59 and that was supposedly on sale. Our cheapest milk on sale is $2.89. I paid $3 for a very small bag of apples the other day and wound up throwing them all out, they were so bruised you could not get even one good slice out of them. Yes, I will complain to the grocery store when I go back down this week. Didn't want to make a special trip and burn up the gas for that. Most likely I would only get an "I'm sorry" any way. What ever happened to making sure the customer was happy?

We are suppose to rain today. Wish it would miss us, getting tired of rain, but alas that is spring.

Have a great day!
Alice