Friday, March 18, 2011

When Poke isn't a weed

I have been out in the yard looking for the first of the forage plants to appear.  I am waiting for the Poke to show itself.  You can't hardly miss Poke Weed because it fairly distinctive-just like the picture.  I have to admit that I had never heard of Poke until I moved here 40 years ago.  My neighbors in Reed, Ky. would go along the railroad tracks, gather the leaves, boil and freeze the leaves for later meals.  They were not "poor folks," but just enjoyed nature's bounty. 

When you forage for Poke gather the young, tender leaves and the "curly" leaves that are about to open.  Wash the leaves  well and put in a pot with a little water and bring to a boil just as you would Spinach.
Add some salt, pepper, drain and add a little bacon drippings or butter.  You can also add small slices of cooked bacon, if you wish.  DO NOT EAT THE BERRIES because they are poison.  It is better to cook the Poke unless you add the small, tender leaves to a mixed, green salad.  If you use the young leaves for salad, strip the leaves from the stem.  You can use Poke as it grows a little larger, but it gets tougher to eat and less flavorful.  In this neck of the woods people collect the very early leaves that have not uncurled, dip the in a batter and fry them.  Happy foraging, y'all!

Get a good book about edible plants from your library or buy one on Amazon.  Be safe, not sorry.

I got out and about and went to various stores to replenish some of the "stocking up" goods that I have used over the winter.  I also went to the habitat store where they sell leftover supplies and donations from the habitat homes that are built here.  I found a towel bar for $1.00.  It is what I wanted... to screw onto the Microwave cart.   I already have lots of screws left over from other projects.   I may get that done tomorrow.  I always have in mind what I will get done "Tomorrow."

My Plum Tree has gone from buds to small leaves.  Spring must be coming, after all.

*
BE YOU, THEREFORE,
IMITATORS OF GOD
AS VERY DEAR CHILDREN
AND WALK IN LOVE,
AS CHRIST ALSO LOVED US
AND DELIVERED HIMSELF UP
FOR US AS AN OFFERING
AND A SACRIFICE TO GOD
TO ASCEND IN FRAGRANT
ODOR.
*
EPHESIANS 5: 1-2
*
END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Mabel,

Your poke reminded me of a song Elvis sang about "Poke Salad", LOL. Been sitting here singing a few lines trying to remember all the words.

I am going to be real hit and miss on here the next couple of weeks. Frank has a lot of doctor's appointments coming up. He is not doing well and I have put it in God's hands. I'm just along for the ride so to speak. Also I am getting ready for a craft sale coming up April 9th which has me pretty busy.

Some of my seedlings have popped through the starting medium today. It is so thrilling to me to see these tiny little seeds spring into a plant. :-D

Blessings, Alice